chapter 16

Claudia was in the waiting room waiting for one of the nurses to wheel Angie out. Angie had been through all the tests and she was fine physically except a few scrapes and bruises. Angie had requested no visitors while she was in there but she knew the only person that knew it was her in the actual hospital was Claudia and King.

Claudia knew Angie was a proud person. And even though Angie didn't want to see anyone when she got out, Claudia knew Angie needed someone to be there. Angie had been through a terrible ordeal and Claudia was going to be there for her every step of the way.

Claudia looked across her at King. She don't know why she even told King to come since she believed King was the reason Angie was in this predicament in the first place. King looked fidgety, like he was expecting someone to jump at him and say 'boo'. That action alone kept Claudia questioning King's involvement.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Claudia whispered in his direction.

"Nothing," King said.

"Then stop looking all jumpy," Claudia said. "Angie going to need us to be strong for her."

"Yes, ya right," King said.

Claudia eyed King. "Unless you holding something back. You know what happened to Angie?"

"I know the same as you," King replied. "I'm still trying to find out what happened."

"Uh huh," Claudia said.

Claudia just leaned back in the hard chair she was sitting on.

"You think she's going to be alright?" King asked.

"Doctors said she just suffered some scrapes," Claudia informed.

"I mean, mentally," King said.

Claudia was thinking that too. She knew Angie would try to play it off but deep inside, she didn't know how Angie was feeling and how Angie, when it got down to it, would really react to what has happened. Angie was a poker face type of girl. She could put on the hardest front. Claudia didn't know how Angie would handle this though.

"I don't know," Claudia answered. "We're just going to have to wait and see."

Claudia really wished Lance was there. She could really need the support as well. Lance Lowry had been there every way but physically.  That was what she needed right now. Some physical contact. Physical warmth. Physical comfort.

Claudia heard one of the back doors open and one of the scrub male nurses pushing Angie out in a wheelchair. Angie had a smile on her face but Claudia could see it was forced.

The male nurse stopped the chair in the waiting room as Claudia and King stood up.

"Glad you ok," Claudia smiled.

"Yeah," Angie said but with a low voice. "Why y'all here?"

"You know I couldn't let you come out here with nobody here," Claudia said.

"Why not?" Angie said. "Nobody was there for me when it happened."

"That's not fair," Claudia said.

"Whatever," Angie said then looked at King. "Did you found out who did this?"

King shook his head.

"Then what good are either of you?" Angie asked glancing back and forth between both of them.

Angie looked up at the male nurse who was still behind the wheelchair. "Push me out, will you?"

The male nurse looked at Claudia and King then started pushing the wheelchair, He took her to the elevator with both Claudia and King in tow.

They all took the elevator and the male nurse pushed her out the lobby doors. He stopped after he got her down the ramp. Angie could walk. The wheelchair was just a courtesy hospitals do. Angie got up. Claudia tried to help her by grabbing her arm but Angie snatched it away.

"Don't touch me," Angie said. "I got this."

Angie got up off the wheelchair and the male nurse nodded, smiled, and pushed the empty wheelchair back up the ramp and back inside the hospital.

"You okay?" King asked.

"I see we full of bright and innovating questions today," Angie said. "Anyway, where's my car? I assumed you brought it?"

"Yeah, it's over here," Claudia said walking to the direction of where Angie's car was.

King stayed behind Angie in case she fell or anything.

"You're my bodyguard now?" Angie asked King.

"I guess so," King said.

"Then found out who did this," Angie said. "That maniac may think it's over. It's not. Far from it."

"You just need to relax," King said.

"Don't tell me what I need to do," Angie snapped. "I need you to find out who hurt me in a club you was guarding. And tell your boss I'm definitely suing. Beat that."

King didn't say anything as Claudia got in Angie's car and drove it up closer to where the two were at.

"Good, I got a chauffeur too," Angie said. 'Along with my bodyguard."

King opened the passenger side door for Angie and Angie got in and sat down.

"Don't start treating me differently," Angie said looking at Claudia. "I refuse to be a victim of whatever the fuck happened to me."

"Got you," Claudia said.

"Good," Angie said.

"I'll meet you at the house," King said tapping on the window.

Claudia nodded and drove off.

King walked to his car and saw that he had a flat.

"Just great," King muttered to herself.

"Can you imagine what I did to her car?" He heard someone say behind him.

He turned around to see Mistake standing behind him sucking on a lollipop.

"You wouldn't," King said looking at the direction Claudia had just turned.

"Why not?" Mistake said licking the lollipop.

"She hasn't done anything to you," King said.

"She has you," Mistake said. "That's my problem. As long as she does, she will always be my problem."

King went to the trunk to get his spare tire. "Leave me alone."

"You're going to learn sooner or later," Mistake said. "I hope you just remember I warned you."

King opened the trunk and pulled out the spare tire.

"I'm not scared of you," King said.

"That's great, baby," Mistake said. "I never want you to be scared of me. But that bitch will be."

King ignored Mistake and grabbed his tire iron.

"Fix this, too," King heard Mistake say.

He heard a crack then a crash. He looked up to see Mistake running. He looked over to where Mistake had been. Mistake had busted his tail light.