CHAPTER 31:

'Mai!'
Tomas uttered that single word.

Alina stared at him fiercely. 'What do you mean, "never?" She questioned frustratedly.

'I told you before I married you that there will be no divorce!'

'Well___things change,' Alina could sense herself losing the battle here. All she wanted to do was scream at him or cry her heart out.

'You can't force me to stay married to you,' she challenged. 'In my country there are laws against that,' she said a silent prayer that their marriage had occurred in Britain.

'We have a contract that binds us together,' he reminded her. 'You could lose your precious restaurant,' he warned.

'I don't care about it anymore!' she yelled. 'In fact___ I was going to sell it. Three companies have offered for The Emily. But you can have it! Keep all the bloody money that I have ever paid you, every cent of it!' She stabbed her index finger into the air. 'Take everything,' she angrily removed her wedding band and slammed it on his desk. Tomas was beginning to feel some palpitations himself.

'Just answer me this Tomas, why did you marry me? Why? You could have any woman in the world!' She leaned against the office door, her palms pressing against it, needing its support.

Tomas remained silent, playing for time, hoping to diffuse the surge of anger that was mounting inside her. As his wife, Alina had never before visited his offices. The last time she'd been here was the very first time he'd laid eyes on her and for some inexplicable reason, he had sensed then, that their destinies were somehow eternally knitted together.

Why did she come here? Couldn't she wait until we got home, to have this discussion?
Surely the office was the most inappropriate place, to discuss what he construed clearly as a personal matter, judging from the furious expression on his wife's face. Yet he knew he had to say something.

'Alina ...'

'Don't take another step,' she held out her palm protectively in front of her body. 'Don't even think of ... touching me.'

She knew how dangerous his touch was. It stole all her control. She was like putty, yielding to his every whim whenever he touched her.

Tomas stopped where he was. It had been his intention to take her into his arms. Nothing gave him more joy than having his wife in his arms. Something about this remarkable lady made his senses race in different directions. She had him crawling about a labyrinth; hopeless in protecting his own heart from her, but the maze just kept becoming more intricate, that it asphyxiated him.

'What is wrong cara mia? I know that you enjoy me touching you,' he boasted.

'Don't call me ... infact just shut up,' she screamed, totally unfazed that his secretary just outside the door, could hear Alina screaming at her husband. He still had not answered her question.

Tomas had never seen his wife this angry. First she came here demanding answers. Then she instructs him to shut up. For the life of him, he could not understand her fury.
Women!

But, he was not a man, who fell on his sword, or gave up at the first hurdle. He did not become a billionaire by throwing in the towel when defeat stared him in the eye.

'We are good together, cara. I see it in your eyes when we make love,' Tomas' eyes dared her to deny it. 'And you enjoy making love to me cara, I know it. You have reached out for me often. If you did not enjoy my body ...'

'I told you to shut up,' she measured the floor space in Tomas' office in her rather familiar manner.

'I thought perhaps you came here to talk?' Tomas ventured dangerously.