CHAPTER 29

'All right,' Alina conceded in a whisper, 'but we exhaust my resources first,' before we accept yours,' she sniffed.

'Cara ... ,' Tomas sighed, hauling his handerchief out of his pocket.

'I will have it no other way Tomas,' her eyes met his stubbornly. Alina knew she could scrape together all she needed. She had her own savings that she was keeping for a rainy day. She could transfer that to Caroline's medical fund and build her savings from scratch again. She believed in her ability to do that.

'I guess, I will have to agree,' Tomas answered. He did not hand her his handkerchief, instead, he dabbed it gently at her eyes and proceeded to wipe her runny nose.

'Give it to me,' Alina tugged at the handkerchief.

'No, I want to,' he smiled.

'Just give it,' she laughed softly through her tears and jerked it out of his hold. 'What?' Alina questioned when Tomas stared at her with his mouth opened.

His lips came together. He inhaled in measured breaths. 'Sei cosi bella, mia moglie,'

'I am not,' she countered, yet every fibre inside her warmed to his compliment.

'Allow me, to be the judge tesoro. 'You are very beautiful and sexy too,' he murmured huskily. His lips trailed over her receptive, soft flesh. His hands moulded her body to his until she felt his sharp arousal. How could she deny herself this exhilarating pleasure when a gorgeous man like Tomas Casiraghi evidently desired a nobody like her? And wasn't this man, her husband? If she had this power over him, can't she yield to her own wanton desire for him? Alina could do nothing but shut her eyes, desperately wanting to ignore Tomas' lips at her cleavage and his palms caressing her bottom. She hated how Tomas always used sex to break her resolve. She hated even more that right at this second her body ached for Tomas' love. All she wanted was to surrender to his seductive charm. Alina was torn between giving into Tomas' seduction and holding onto her pride. Her fingers curled at her sides, her lips longed to find his. Just as she thought herself too weak to resist him, it was at that instant that Tomas drew away, thinking, she was not going to respond to him.

Alina immediately felt a sense of debilitating loss when Toma stepped away. She wanted to reach out for him, drape her arms around his shoulders, have her fingers caress the soft curly hair at the nape of his neck, but ...the moment was lost.

She looked up, expecting to see anger on Tomas' face, instead he smiled courteously. His palms held her arms gently. 'I'm going to shower,' he murmured, pressing his lips to hers in a lingering kiss. Alina watched his retreating back before he disappeared behind his bathroom door. She lifted her fingers to her lips. His searing kiss was still imprinted on her lips. Should she go to him in his shower?

No it's better this way,' she tried to convince herself and felt a deeper sense of loss. Alina undressed and climbed into bed. She waited for Tomas to come to bed. Perhaps he will reach out for her in bed. This time she will not resist him.

'Good night,' Tomas reached over kissed her on her cheek and dropped his head on his pillow.

'Night,' Alina murmured dejectedly. She closed her eyes, but sleep did not come easily. Her body ached from sleeping in the same position for too long. She wanted to change her position, but she did not want to disturb Tomas. She could hear his soft breathing and knew he was a light sleeper. If she tossed about, he would awake. So she stayed in that uncomfortable position until sleep took over her body in the early hours of the morning.

     Alina felt exhausted but she knew it was morning and time to start the new day. Her eyes flew open when she felt the duvet lifting on Tomas' side. Instinctively her fingers reached out and circled around his wrist preventing him from leaving the bed. Tomas' head swung to her face. His eyes registered surprise.