CHAPTER 21

Alina cleaned and enthusiastically prepared the seafood for Tomas’ dinner.  She put together a delicious creamed garlic sauce.  It smelt heavenly.  It was too early to put the food into the oven.  It did not need a lot of time.  She would do that about twenty minutes before dinner.

‘Cara, come let’s go for a walk,’ Tomas strolled into the kitchen.

‘But I’m busy,’ Alina looked up from the special dinner she was preparing for him, although his offer delighted her.

Tomas looked at his wristwatch, ‘It’s still early cara,’ he urged.

‘Where’s Emily?’  Alina dried her hands with the tea towel.

‘Busy with the bag of goodies I brought back,’ he smiled guiltily.

‘You spoil her to much Tomas,’ Alina accused.

‘Oh good afternoon Mr. Casiraghi,’ Shay greeted in a sing song voice.

‘Hello Shay,’ Tomas answered courteously.

‘How was your trip Mr. Casiraghi?’ She cooed ignoring Alina in the kitchen.

‘Good thank you,’ Tomas nodded.  ‘Cara let’s walk,’ Tomas instructed.

‘Very well,’ she murmured.  ‘Shay, don’t worry about dinner.  I’ve started it.  I’ll finish when I return.

‘Okay,’ Shay smiled at Tomas, not even bothering to make eye contact with Alina.

‘Where are we going?’ Alina slipped on a cardigan.  Secretly, she was thrilled for the opportunity to have some alone time with Tomas.

‘Have you not seen the lovey hiking trail at the back of our property?’ Tomas offered his arm to Alina.

‘No,’ she admitted.  With the long hours she kept, she hardly had the time.

‘I like when you leave your hair untied,’ Tomas smiled, admiring the way her hair bounced about over her shoulders.

Alina looked up now.  She was so happy to be doing something alone with Tomas, she had not dared to look into his eyes, less he see how happy she was.  ‘Thank you,’ she smiled shyly. 

Alina looked away quickly.  For the first time, she glanced around with a critical eye at their scenic back yard.  It was beautiful.  Huge leafy trees and colourful foliage grew healthily.  A gravel path snaked around and led downhill towards the green woodlands. The sun had dipped.  It was a bit nippy.  She brushed her arm, thankful, that she remembered to put on her cardigan.

‘Cold cara?’ Tomas removed his jacked and draped it over her shoulders.  Her eyes fell to his chest, where the opened buttons, revealed tiny strands of fine hair.

‘Thank you,’ she dragged her eyes away.  Tomas smiled.  He draped his arm around her shoulder, drawing her closer to him as they continued walking.

‘I can’t believe Emily did not want to come for a walk,’ Alina quickly found something to talk about.

Tomas laughed.  ‘Well if I was a little girl, I would much prefer a bag of toys than walking with adults.

‘But she’s obsessed with you,’ Alina accused.

‘And you?’ Tomas’ voice challenged softly, his eyes raking over her body.

‘What?’

‘You heard me cara,’ he smiled seductively.

What the hell are you asking me?  And there’s no way in hell I’m answering that.’