CHAPTER 27

Alina felt a mixture of excitement and trepidation as she opened the door.  Tomas was already home.  His car was out front in the courtyard.  She rushed to the lounge, thinking he would be chatting with Emily, he was not there.  Voices from Tomas’ study caught her attention.  The nauseating seductive, familiar laughter of a certain undesirable female had Alina rushing to Tomas’ study.  She opened the door without knocking.  The conversation stopped.  The smile disappeared of Gabriella’s face as she glared at the intruding Mrs. Alina Casiraghi, in her drab chef’s uniform.

‘Tomas, you’re home early!’ Alina cautiously greeted. 

‘And so are you cara,’ Tomas’ smile was polite.  Outwardly nothing looked wrong, but the look in his hooded eyes, told Alina a different story altogether.  She was still being punished for giving him the cold shoulder last night.  Tomas stood up.  With slow deliberation, he made his way to her.  Unable to hold his gaze a second longer, Alina focused instead on his loosened tie, wondering whether he’d opened it or had Gabriella enjoyed that pleasure. Tomas towered over her, his magnetic presence commanding her eyes to meet his.  Inhaling deeply, her eyes lifted to his. Alina could sense Gabriella’s icy glare piercing at her.  When Tomas’ head lowered to kiss her, Alina relished the moment of glory.  Her arms draped around his neck possessively. 

‘Hi,’ Alina murmured, deliberately prolonging the kiss.  Tomas’ sexy eyebrows arched acrobatically.  Alina felt a surge of delight and did a mental cart wheel at the spark of desire that flashed in Tomas’ eyes.  He banked it quickly, and returned to his desk.

‘Gabriella, you and Keres back from Greece then?’

‘Yes,’ Tomas answered for Gabriella.  ‘I just picked mama and Gabriella up from the airport.’

‘So where’s Keres?’ Alina stared at the sulking Gabriella.

‘She was tired and wanted to go home,’ Gabriella finally spoke with a satisfied smirk.  ‘I wanted to talk to Tomas.’

Alina felt her stomach knotting.  ‘What about?’ She was annoyed at herself that her question came out more politely than she wanted it to.

‘It seems Gustav finally wants to visit,’ Tomas answered, on Gabriella’s behalf.

Can you allow this reptile to speak for herself!

‘I see,’ Alina replied.

‘Apparently mama wants Gustav to stay with her, but he told Gabriella he does not want to stay with mama!’ Tomas added.

I don’t blame him.

‘Gabriella is proposing Gustav stay at her place,’ Tomas relayed.

‘No!’ Alina rejected that suggestion forcefully.

 I will not be allowing my husband to be visiting your home every day.

‘Excuse me!’  Gabriella glowered at Alina with raised eyebrows.

‘Well___,’ Alina turned to Tomas.  He was also curious to hear his wife’s explanation, it seemed.  She smiled almost pleadingly.  ‘Gustav can stay with us,’ she murmured.  ‘You know we have more than enough rooms to accommodate him.’

‘You don’t mind?’ Tomas questioned.  ‘I don’t want to inconvenience Caroline and Emelia.’

‘No,’ Alina answered softly.  Glad that Tomas was buying her suggestion.

‘Are you sure Caroline will be comfortable with it?’

Oh Tomas!

‘Yes.’ …I hope so