CHAPTER 10

'Cara,'

She hadn't expected it to be Tomas calling her so early in the morning.

'Are you busy?' His deep voice washed over her like a warm wave, she almost forgot to respond.

'I'm at work Tomas, off course I'm busy. Do you think I'm twiddling my thumbs?'

He laughed throatily. She could just picture the sparkle lighting up his eyes. 'Mamma would like us to have dinner with her this Friday. Can you make a plan?'

'Friday is my busy day Tomas, how about Thursday or Monday or Tuesday?'

''I'll take Thursday cara. Monday is too far away.'

Alina smiled into the handset.

'Mamma will just have to reschedule.'

'What time?'

I'll pick you up at six thirty, ciao.'

      Alina knocked on her neighbour Patty's Jenner's door to again borrow a dress.

'Oh how lovely of you to drop by,' Patty hugged her. 'I thought now that you have your hunky Italian, I would never see you again.'

'Why did you think that?' Alina's face reflected something between a smile and a grimace.

'Successful restaurateur, maybe she now favours High Street Designs, rather than Patty Jenner's Designer wardrobe.'

'That's exactly why I'm here,' Alina grinned. 'So, I would like something---demure. We're having dinner at his mother.'

'Ooh nasty,' Patty had a pained expression on her face.

Alina laughed. 'Black is always a safe choice right.'

'Not tonight luv, I have the perfect dress for dinner with the mother-in-law.'

'She's not yet,' Alina protested.

'What do you think?' Patty removed a stunning ivory frock, made in lace and chiffon. It looked so tiny as if it was bought in the teenager's section, but Alina could not tear her eyes away from the beautiful dress.

'Wow,' Alina whispered.

Patty laughed. 'That must be a yes then.'

'No,' Alina shook her head. 'I can't wear that to his mother.'

'Why the hell not?' Patty demanded. 'You will look stunning. Don't you want to make a good impression?'

'I have no desire to impress her---.'

'Oh that's right. He's already popped the question,' Patty slapped her forehead.

There was no popping or proposing or bended knee.

'Can't we go for conservative?' Alina pleaded. 'This looks too sexy and risqué.'

'Put it on. Let's see.'

'We must hurry. Tomas will be here shortly,' reluctantly Alina slipped the dress on.

Patty covered her mouth in amazement when she saw how fabulous Alina looked in the dress. It blended beautifully with her mane of rich auburn curls. It was figure hugging around her hour glass frame, and classy.

'It's all wrong, right?' Alina observed Patty's hand over her mouth.

'No, you look like those celebrity stars walking the red carpet.'

'Oh please,' Alina laughed. 'I'm hardly---.'

She stopped when she heard a car door slam outside.

'He's here. OMG. I'm not ready!  Patty help! I need a dress.'