12

Miles POV

I was furious with my mum. She could never understand, I mean, her example of love was my father and most of the time that was for routine more than for the emotions involved.

I had got straight into my car and repeated the same journey I had done multiple times today. It was expected. I was going to drive straight back to her because when no matter how angry my mum made me or how frustrated school made me feel being with her made me feel peace.

"Hey Miles, back again?" Emily greeted me when I reached the door.

"Is that okay?" I smiled nervously.

"Always, Mr Simpson just left and Olivia is in her room." She explained causally before changing into a more serious tone.
"While I agree with what he said...Miles, you being here wasn't completely unappreciated. You were a real help, I didn't know what having Olivia home for the first week would be like, especially with me moved in and the baby." She patted her tummy. I was surprised by actual appreciation unlike my own Mother.
"Just don't burn yourself out trying to keep Olivia warm, alright? That's not a relationship."
She left me in the hallway without another word.

I knocked on Olive's door and entered to her sitting on her phone. She looked up.
"Frankie." She waved her phone explaining who she was messaging and smiled.

I gave a simple nod sitting on the bed. I then reached for my shirt buttons hoping to slip into the usual routine but she touched my arm gently and I stopped, the hairs where she had touched pricking with alarm.

"Miles." She spoke quietly and I sensed something bad. The prickling of my arm swept through my whole body.

"I'm gonna go back to school I promise and I'm gonna do the play, everything will sort itself out

"I'm gonna go back to school I promise and I'm gonna do the play, everything will sort itself out. I will do that for us," I told her, I meant every word.

"What about for you? It's your extra credit for your grade." She replied in a withdrawn tone that took me off guard.

"Well yeah.. yeah obviously but this way I still have time after school for us, I know it won't be like before but at least Simpson will be off our backs." I tried to joke but she didn't seem to be on the same wavelength.

"Have you even thought about where you wanna go for college?" She questioned. It was then I realised that they had got her. My mum, Mr Simpson, my English teacher, everyone else who 'wanted the best for me'. They had got her on their side wanting to push me to confront my future dead on. What was so bad about the here and the now?
"Not you too.." I rubbed my eyes tiredly. I'd had enough of this for one day.

"What's the plan Miles?" She persisted. I hadn't even thought about it. We had to research some colleges last year but with my track record I never really thought I'd get to graduation. In truth I couldn't even remember what I'd written down. She looked at me with a expectancy, she was really pushing me for an answer?