Chapter 38 - The Real Stuff Starts Now

Sasuke's POV

Never in my life had I expected Akita to look like this, act like this. Between me and Naruto, I could sense her unsteady breathing and I couldn't help but stare as she trembled. She seemed so vulnerable, so... I didn't even have words to describe how abnormally frightened she was. It was perplexing how freaked she looked. Nothing like Akita I knew. The Akita Tora I knew was bold and courageous, she giggled at the face of danger and she was stubborn, hardheaded, rude, rash, tough as a rock and most importantly she was stupidly brave. Almost to a point where you wondered if it was bravery that drover her or ignorance.

 I looked at Akita and I wondered, where was that girl now? The one that stood before me was nothing like the one I described. When she had realised the other Genin were watching her, she went stiff and froze. The Akita I knew would've said something in return something like; "What the fuck were you rejects looking at?"  or at least glared, she wouldn't have had coward away behind the drapes of her hair. She wouldn't have been trembling a puppy in the cold rain, she--

There was a sudden tug on my shirt and it had me nearly stunned when I realised who it was. I lifted my arm and I noticed how tightly Akita had clung onto me. I furrowed my eyebrows as her grip tightened and a thought hit me. She was seeking protection from me, wasn't she? She wanted my protection? I didn't know whether my heart thudded in pity or ... something else. But I just had to admit it made me feel strong.

 Her crimson eyes didn't have the same fiery look to them. They weren't alive, they were now more of a brownish colour, but at the same time there was a sparkle of alertness in them. Her lashes were thick and wide apart just as wide as her eyes, which were as big as I've ever seen them. She didn't seem to notice that I was watching her; I turned my eyes back to her hands, which held me so tightly. Normally when I was held this tightly I'd push the person off--normally it was Ino who did that--but this just wasn't one of those normal times. I didn't know how to respond to this, at all.

I noticed Sakura giving Akita a peculiar look and then glancing with curiosity and she whispered, "Sasuke why are you letting her hang onto you like some lil' puppy?" She then put her hands on her hips and glared. To my surprising distaste, Akita's hold on me suddenly loosened and she slowly let go. I watched as she side stepped away from me and glared at Sakura, but the she turned her eyes to the ground without another word. My arm felt cold and lighter than usual, I looked at Sakura and tried my hardest not to show how I was truly feeling.

Akita's POV

"Now before we begin this test, I have something to hand out to you all," Anko lifted her overcoat and pulled out a bundle a paperwork stacked together, "It's just a standard consist form...before this test all of you must read over this sheet and sign it." 

Naruto furrowed his eyebrows, "What for?" He asked.

Anko shrugged with a slanted grin on her face, "Some of you might not make it back...and I have to get your consist to that risk, otherwise it'd be my responsibility!" She laughed and waved the paperwork to Naruto, "Pass this out for me would ya?" I looked down at the paper in my hands and passed the other sheets to Sakura, and she did the same. "This test consists of an anything goes battle to get you hands on these scrolls," Anko lifted her over coat jacket and pulled out two scrolls one white the other black.