chapter fifteen

Demetrius Pov

I hated seeing her look so fragile, so weak, so human. I hated feeling this way towards her the power of having my heart strings being pulled for someone destined for me. I didn't want a mate. I was not ready for one. As selfish as it sounded I needed and wanted to live a little before I settled and settling down was not in plans for at least another ten years or so. But as I looked at Anastasia the tug and pull was harder to ignore. She looked as if she wanted to be anywhere else but here hearing her parents arguing. Who would want to be witness that? I hadn't intervene because it seemed it was not my place to do so and if Father had not done so already it was for a reason.

Although, I had to admit, Mrs. Lima was getting on my last nerves with her yelling and aggressiveness towards Uncle Paul who was doing nothing but taking it all.

Of course Uncle Paul was cool and collective, I had never seen him loose his patience or temper until today as he yelled at who now I suppose I should call Aunt Bree.

Maybe not. As I gazed at the angry blonde.

The accusation that Uncle Paul threw at Anastasia's mother was powerful. It seemed as if she was blaming her for the death of her sister, his dead mate. I observed everything with silently as did everyone else. None of my siblings nor Anastasia's siblings said much, for the expectation of Max, who tried to calm his mother down but it was a fruitless effort.

It didn't seem right that this was how they acted in front of their children and on the note that it seemed to have been a while that they had seen their father, arguing was not needed.

I stayed out of if that is until I heard Anastasia faint whimper. My attention snapped towards her shaking from. Her eyes wide giving her a childlike appearance and with those ice blue eyes. The sight caused me to completely lose it. Feeling anger vibrate deep within me at the distress look on her perfect face, I shoved myself off the wall.

"STOP THIS!" I shouted as I made my way towards her. I didn't know how I was going to comfort her but I had too. It seemed I was the only that was capable of doing that, calming her. Her heart was beating rapidly and I was afraid that she would have another little episode. She was already sick with a fever. We didn't need her to have a heart episode at the same time. I wasn't sure how I felt with the fact that her heart was so weak it unnerved me.

I expected anything else than what happened next. Her big ice blue eyes were wide as she threw the blankets off herself and in a second she pounced on me, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck holding me against her with so much force, so much need.

She placed her face onto my chest. I felt her inhale deeply. I was too shocked I was completely still. I did not expect this from her. I didnt want too but i shamelessly was enjoying it. The warmth of her small body against mine was doing things to me, unwanted images slammed into my mind. I quickly pushed them away. Regaining the function to my brain, I held her tightly against myself as well, inhaling her wonderful essence. The smell of wild flowers wasn't enough. I felt her relax within my arms.

My wolf was content with having her in our arms. He knew she was fragile, he knew he had to work extra hard to protect her but damn will he protect her against anything and everything. He was extremely proud that Anastasia was his mate, our mate. Unlike me he was ready to claim her more like he was impatient to have her as his.

But one thing did seem to confuse us both, she did not have a wolf? If she didn't then why did he feel such a connection with her? But then again maybe that's why she wasn't recognizing the mate bond. Or perhaps she was, she had thrown herself at him when she was distressed.

"Wait a moment! Why is he hugging my daughter?" Mrs. Lima asked. "Can anyone explain that? Aaron care to explain?"

Anastasia moved her head off my chest to glance over my shoulder at everyone who was probably stun at this little interaction as I was.