Chapter Five

Image: Jesse Mathews 

“So have you decided already?” I moaned out, leaning on the counter, placing my  chin over the palm of my hand, giving Jesse an exasperated look, but of course it went unnoticed as Jesse stared at the phones before him, completely observed.

We had been phone shopping for the last two hours and Jesse couldn’t make a decision whether to get an iPhone or a galaxy. I thought this was ridicules because once he made his mind up for one, he would change it. He was worse than a girl! I heard my stomach growled in protest of being denied food for so long. I had forgotten I really hadn’t ate much today, after the whole incident.

I really wished I had taken at least a small bite of my food.

“I don’t know…I really like the galaxy but the iPhone speaks to me…” He turned both the phones in his hands, testing them as if that was the way he would choose which one was for him.

The sells man looked rather annoyed but he plastered a fake smile trying to seem happy at the long time Jesse was taking.  I, on the other hand, didn’t fake no excitement, no smile. Grumpily, I straighten myself tossing my hands up into the air before I stared angrily at Jesse.

“Oh for the love of god!” I snatched the iPhone out of his hand.  

“Hey!”

I placed it on the counter, trying my best not to slam it with annoyance. “He’ll take this one and can you make it quick. We don’t want him to try and get another phone, thank you.” I smiled tightly. I watched as the sells man quickly went to the back to get the phone. I gladly placed the galaxy behind the counter, so he didn’t get any ideas.

I turned towards Jesse, “You’ll have more fun with the iPhone than with the galaxy now pay up and let’s get out of here. I’m hungry and tired and I want to go home before Max comes looking for us like a wild animal.” I looked at my phone as if mentioning him brought him to calling me.

I sigh before I slide my thumb over the screen, answering. “I know. I know where am I? Well I’m with Jesse. We came to pick a phone for him. We’ll be home in no time so don’t worry.”

Max chuckled in the line, “Well I guess someone knows me too well, but come home as soon as you can mom has been asking for you and we are about to eat.”

I rolled my eyes, that was a surprise that mom asked for me. It wasn’t that she didn’t like me or cared for me, but I wasn’t such a bright star like Max or Julie. I was more of the shadow the one that no one placed much attention too. I didn’t mind, at times.

“Okay I’ll be home in a bit.”

“Anastasia?” Max’s voice was low as if he was trying not to be overheard.

“Yeah?”

“Are you okay? I mean you aren’t hurting or anything?” Sighing and glancing at an entertained Jesse, who was being taught the basics of the phone, I answered Max. “Yes, I’m fine it wasn’t a big dea…” But we both knew it had been. We also knew I didn’t want to talk about it, I wanted it to be dropped.

Max sighed, “Okay get home soon.” I hanged up tucking my phone into my back pocket. I turned to face the glare that Jesse had managed for me.

“Well that was so rude!” He placed his debit card so the sells man could retrieve it. He seemed a bit too eager to get us on our way. Maybe he was afraid that Jesse would change his mind once again.

“It wasn’t rude. You were just taking way too long to pick a phone. I don’t see why it’s just a phone. You just need it to call and text that’s it.”