Chapter One

Picture on the side: Anastasia Lima 

September 2013

Glumly, I pressed the screen buttons. A number one meal with large fries and a large drink. “Would that complete your order?” I asked trying my best to not let the annoyance drip from my voice. I glanced through the window. How can I be stuck at work such a beautiful day? Most important how can I miss going to the beach with my family on the first sunny day of the year?

“I said that would be all!” snapped the customer practically shouting, causing me to snap out of my thoughts. Trying to hold in my anger at such a rude person, I tighten my hand around the ketchup packet I had been holding for the past three minutes since the customer had started their order.

“Okay that would be twenty five with six cents in the first win-“ I glanced at the screen only to see that the lady had drove off without waiting for her total.

Annoyed, I took a deep breath as I rubbed my hand down my face. “That bad?”

I looked over towards my co-worker and best friend, Jesse. Jesse was lean and built in a pretty boy way. He had a baby face that made him look so adorable, yet attractive. His hair was light brown a little shabby, always been that way. He never once since I have known him, did he ever have his hair short, but it suited him.

Nodding my head I leaned back into the wall. “Yes that bad. One day I’m not going to be able to control my annoyance towards these assholes and I’m going to snap!” I hissed glaring towards the window where the lady drove up.

It was a rather large lady, with a mean face. She oozed rudeness. I was pretty sure if I took a big whiff I would be able to smell her rudeness from where I stood. Jesse opened the window, her beady eyes looking him up and down, without waiting for him to repeat her total, she handed him her card, “Can we make this snappy? I’m in a hurry,” she snapped.

I rolled my eyes, “I bet you’re in no hurry to go to the GYM,” I muttered under my breath. This only caused Jesse to smirk, trying his best not to full on laugh, giving me a look that said, ‘quit saying things like that!’

I only shrugged and gave him my best innocent look. As soon as the lady drove off, Jesse looked at me, “You have to stop doing that!” he said pushing at me playfully.

“I don’t like this job…” I whined softly looking down at my work clothes. Baggy dickie pants and an oversize shirt, awful. Yeah I wasn’t much of a fashionable person and okay I didn’t like dressing up or anything, honestly this would be my type of clothes really, but that didn’t mean I still liked the uniform.

“I don’t think anyone does Little Miss Anastasia, but at least it pays the bills,” Jesse countered, “Well at least to someone of us. Your bills are paid already,” he pushed me playfully once again.

I giggled swatting him away, “Whatever Jesse some of us aren’t old like others and have to live on our own! And besides, you are only two years older than I am, calm yourself down. But you know that I want to go to Paris, you know the lovely place of love!”

Jesse stared at me with an odd look before he busted out laughing, “you will have to work so many hours to get your money to be able to go to Paris!”

Unable to help it, I socked him hard on his shoulder causing Jesse to yell out in pain. “Ow! What the hell was that all about!” he rubbed his arm roughly trying to reduce the pain as he glared at me.

Smiling sweetly, “Don’t make fun of me.”

“Well I was just saying no need to be so abusive and besides why would you be looking for love at sixteen? And in Paris? Sorry but I don’t like even thinking about you and guys being together in the same place, its-” he scrunched his face in a disgusted manner, “Its just odd to think about you being in love and having a guy touching you. You are like a little sister that I never had and sorry but I would never let my little sister be around guys. As a matter of fact, you are becoming a nun.”