Chapter Nine

image: DANIELLE POWERS 

                        ~*~*~*~*

It felt hours that we just sat there not saying a single word not one at all until finally Julie got fed up and sigh, loudly.

“Okay how do you know that my mother isn’t his mate? Sorry to say this but you wouldn’t know that and besides why would he be with her and have children with her if she wasn’t his mate?” she asked glaring at Mother.

Max sat quietly not saying a single word, which surprised me. I would have thought he would have been the one to argue against Mother. Yet there he sat not saying a single word. What Mother had said were strong words. She had just claimed a mated couple was not true mates. It wasn’t like they didn’t exist, not everyone found their true mates so it was possible that unmated wolves who didn’t find their mates, mated with others.

Father stepped in. He placed an arm around Mother’s shoulder, a reassuring gesture. He turned his gaze towards Julie, who didn’t look away. Determined little thing, I was proud to say Louie had a good mate in his hands.

“Well I would know this because your Father, Paul, is my best friend has been since we were kids. I know your mother is not Paul’s true mate because I knew his true mate, who was killed a year after they had found each other, such a tragedy.” Father’s voice was grave as he seemed to remember the memory.

I was stunned into silence. I had not known Uncle Paul had children. That is something I don’t think anyone knew I was sure if someone did, I would have known. Uncle Paul was rarely around. He would visit during holidays or on special occasions. Sometimes, he would pop up on us unexpectedly with gifts and exciting stories. I really didn’t know what Uncle Paul dedicated his life too, he wasn’t in a pack and he wasn’t rouge and he didn’t deny his wolf roots. I had never really put much thought into it until now. After all, he was the Father of my mate. Something I should have known since both Uncle Paul and Anastasia had the same eye color. A rare ice blue so rare that no one else had it other than Uncle Paul and now Anastasia.

“She died?” Julie whispered her voice pulling me right out of my thoughts.  

Father nodded. No one spoke about Uncle Paul’s mate. Everyone knew she had died and in a brutal way, but no one dared speak about it. Why? Simple. Uncle Paul had that aura around him that screamed, authority, strength, power. Sure he was kind but it was apparent and well seen, he was not one to be messed with. Father and Uncle Paul were as close as siblings can be but that didn’t mean my siblings and I would mess with the mate topic.  

Everyone in the pack knew that Uncle Paul’s mate had died yet no one, not even us, knew he had taken another mate and had children. It was hard to believe but his children were standing right before me and one of them laid unconscious upstairs the one that was mine. 

“That she is. She died at the tender age of sixteen. She stood at five feet and five inches with long red hair down to her waist, big blue beautiful eyes. She was a sight to see. Gentle, shy, but overall, she was kind hearted. Everyone loved her you just couldn’t help it. She was just too nice and she was also your Aunt.”

Well goddamn if today wasn’t filled with surprises.

Max decided then it was time to speak up. “What are you talking about? We don’t have an Aunt.”

“It seems your Mother has not told you about her sister, Anastasia.”

I looked at Father this time. What was he saying?

“Yes your younger sister was named after your mothers own sister and your father’s true mate. I didn’t understand, at first, why she was named after her at first other than a sign of respect but now I see why. Paul’s children had all been born with his dark blue eyes. I later found out that Paul’s youngest was born with ice blue eyes, a family trade mark that we had all thought had died with Paul himself since none of his other children had received the eye color. I also came to find out that his youngest was born with red fiery hair and was named after Anastasia,” father said.