Maiden 19*

________________________________________________________________________________________ Chapter 19

The time it took to arrive in the city, wasn't more than half an hour. The tall spires of Kalabraiun holy place could be seen right before the gates. Gates that held no guards, another sign of how powerful the Kalabraiuns thought themselves to be.

I could smell the scent of rain in the air, hopefully, our return wouldn't be noticed with the added rain. And even if it was Leona was on stand by to explain that both Syndra and I, had left to explore the land.

The palanquin floated over the land easily, before finally coming to a stop in front of a nondescript building. Pulling our face scarves up, I felt the weight of this moment. The door opened, and the rough-faced guard stepped back allowing Syndra to alight first.

I quickly followed her, standing now in the elements a few drops of water hitting my cloaked shoulder. Looking up and down the alleyway, I spotted a sign that read, "Ugaiya," Mouthing it silently, I quickly realized that must be the name of where we came.

"Mistress?"

Turning my attention to Syndra, who looked at me in silent inquiry. I shook my head, lifting the edge of my long coat and without a word, we entered the dim building.

Entering, we were met with the sight of what felt like thousands of holographs. Each one dressed so that their identity was cloaked, and their race or species was kept hidden. Following the tall guard, whose black tail moved back and forth catching my eyes occasionally. He took us to the podium, turning his feline gaze on me.

"You will stand here and give details on the bounty as well as for instructions. Be thorough miss in your instructions, or these men will bring you pieces and still demand their money."

Giving a short nod, I walked around him and took my place on the stage.

My heart thundered in my ears; this was the first time I'd been faced with so many eyes. Accustomed to being the player in the background, this was harder than it felt. Taking a deep breath and placed my hand on my stomach trying to steady my nerves.

"Mistress...You can do this."

I looked at Syndra, drawing strength from her belief in me.

Lifting my chin, I boldly face them keeping my expression empty of emotion. Ignoring the slight doubt, I felt at doing this. "I put out a bounty for the Calvaiun Females, for each female you bring to me alive and well I will give you thirty rupees."

A hand went up, I looked over the male. His was tall, and I could see that he hadn't bothered hiding his curling purple horns. "How can we identify the females you want?"

"These females are Calvaiun but do not look like them. Their skin will range in shades, like pale, to deep black. The woman will be softer and...weaker. They will be lost and have no guards."