Preface

Our world died.

Long ago, it was ripped to shreds by those who claimed to be our creators. These creators came to earth just as it was on the rise. And destroyed us slowly. With their offers of shelter and help from the very virus they'd created to destroy our elders.

After all they had no need for the elderly, the sick or...the rebellious.

Our technology field scrap heaps, and our clothing were peeled from our bodies as we were sectioned off into ships and carted from the burning land that had once been our home.

Now, ten generations later we do not know what we were once called. Earth, is no longer remembered as our home of swirling blues and white clouds.

Instead, we women; are referred to as "Mothers", priestesses of Artemis who live on the moon under a dome like structure that surrounds the compound. Giving birth for ten cycles, for the Calvaiuns who cannot do so. Our wombs, and semen farmed and used to birth more Calvaiuns as they, themselves have ascended beyond giving birth and procreation.

Most of the Tenth generation no nothing else and remember nothing else.

But I am different, I am the tenth daughter of the tenth daughter. Before our world was destroyed, a single elder, known secretly among those of my blood as the First. Downloaded the human story into nanites, every book, and every story, all of civilization into a single tiny computer. And before they took his daughter and murdered him in cold blood, he managed to infect her with them.

Her name was Aria, and ever since the when the Tenth cycle comes for the Tenth daughter she whispers the name into the babe's ear like a prayer. Before the managers come and take her to be recycled.

My name is now Aria, I now bear the responsibility of gaining freedom for the women here who might not want it. Unlike my predecessors I've the chance and unlike them I will take it.