15.

It's quiet between the two boys. The only sound was from their feet hitting the pavement softly under them and Michael kept glancing at Luke's face but Luke wouldn't look at him and Michael wanted him to look over and just smile at him. Luke had such a beautiful smile and Michael wasn't sure what was happening because he has nothing but good thoughts about Luke and it's a first because he should be scared of Luke and he's not.

Michael wants to hear Luke speak, or laugh, or anything really. He isn't sure what to say, he needs to say something because they're nearing his street and

"Where's Calum?" Michael blurts out suddenly. "I haven't seen him around recently."

And Luke looks so confused as he looks over at Michael.

"Calum? Who is that?" Luke says, and Michael's heart stops and then drops to his feet as his steps slow.

"Your...your friend." Michael says weakly, "from the skating rink." It comes out as a whisper and Michael doesn't miss the look Luke gives him as he stops to turn around and look at him.

"I don't know anyone by the name of Calum. I also haven't been to the skating rink in a few years. You must have mistaken me for someone else." And Luke smiles but Michael can't think because his breathing stops and he's trying to stay on his feet. He doesn't want to look weak in front of Luke.

But he is. He's so scared and confused and he just wants everything to stop.

"What's going on?" Michael says, moving backward as he keeps his eyes on Luke. Luke doesn't move and Michael is grateful but he needs to get away. "Why...why do you keep messing with me? You're making me seem crazy."

"Michael, I -" Luke is shaking his head but Michael is already gone as he sprints away from Luke. His mind is so fuzzy and he's confused and he just wants to know why why why.

Why him? Why did they have to mess with him?

Michael finds himself stopping on a bridge and he leans over the railing to look down at the water below and it's calm and clear and he can see the moons reflection. He's trying to calm his breathing from the run and he's trying to clear his head.

So much has happened in just over a little bit of a week and Michael hates everything that has happened. His head hurts, and he doesn't feel right, and he won't even eat anymore because he's lost his appetite. He's tired of looking over his shoulder all the time and he's tired of not feeling safe and right in his mind.

He can feel the strings connecting his sanity slowly breaking apart one by one and Michael is not ready for the day they all snap.

--

Luke follows after Michael and he isn't sure why he's following him. He wasn't supposed to get close to Michael. His goal was to drive Michael to the brink of insanity and he needed Michael to end everything because they were running out of time and Michael needed to wake up.

Things were starting to go as planned but then Luke started to feel something. He started feeling bad for the boy, he felt the need to be nicer and maybe even soften up to him but he wouldn't admit it.

And Ashton was the perfect pawn. Ashton would make Michael feel more than Luke ever could. Ashton was Michael's best friend and Ashton had the power to drive Michael to the last stage of sanity and then everything would be set in stone.

Luke watches Michael and Luke feels something in his gut as he watches Michael stare down into the water and somehow Luke knows what he's thinking.

Luke doesn't care how he does it as long as Michael wakes up.

They were so close.

--

Hiiii so i have no internet at home so updates will be slower than usual. I'm going to a friends this weekend so maybe I'll update again :)))))

And yes i know I didn't tell you what the note says. You'll find out soon :)