Chapter 32

The air was humid and smelled of earth and rain. The portal connected us to a large hall made of red brick with a stone floor. The edges where the walls met the ceiling were decorated with carvings of flowers and leaves. There was an entrance on either end of the hall, one lead outside into a garden, the other was cast in shadows but I guessed it must lead to another part of the palace. Roots tore up or turned up the stone floor. The walls were covered in vines, moss and fused with tree roots. Large columns near the walls held up the arched roof. In the centre of the roof was a large circular opening which let in the dim sunlight filtered through the cloudy sky. Glitter, thick in the air sparkled in the light.

Gregor's mother crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently. I turned to Gregor, "what do we do now?"

"I'm not sure," Gregor whispered. "My grandfather should be here soon but King Murugan should have been here to greet us."

A shadow appeared at the oculus. It meowed like a tom cat and then flew down in a flutter of blue and green. A peacock stood in front of us, his tail feathers folded away and his chest puffed out. It was as big as a horse with red eyes and iridescent feathers. I stared at it even though I knew I shouldn't.

"Murugan should be expecting us," said Gregor's mother.

The peacock tilted his head and stared at her.

"Can you call him...please," she said reluctantly. The peacock meowed again and flew back through the opening in the roof and vanished.

"What was that?" I asked Gregor. That was one of the more bizarre thing I'd seen.

"He's King Murugan's mount. You should be careful around him. If you anger him or startle him he'll paralyze you with his magic," explained Gregor.

"I thought this forest wasn't dangerous," I said looking around at how the trees had aggressively taken over the hall.

"It's less dangerous. The trees and fairies are fine but the monsters here aren't as acclimatized to outsiders," said Gregor.

"About time," muttered Gregor's mother looking the entrance which lead further into the palace complex. A man who looked to be in his early twenties rushed towards us. He wore pale yellow robes of draped linen, necklaces of pearl and gold around his neck.

"Sorry, sorry," he chanted as he came to Gregor's mother. He gracefully took her hand and touched it to his forehead. Murugan let her hand go, took a step back and bowed again. "I didn't think you would be here so soon."

He lifted his head and looked over Gregor and me. "Where's Lord Lankeshwar?"

"He'll come on his own," said Gregor's mother coldly.

"Yes, yes I see," muttered Murugan. "It's been quite awhile since Lord Lankeshwar's last event hasn't it?"

"He hadn't found anyone so interesting or fool hard in some time," replied Gregor's mother.

Murugan nodded slowly and then turned to me. "So, I've heard you've caused quite a stir."

My shoulders stiffened. I looked down as I nodded. His footsteps were soft as he walked closer and knelt in front of me so I couldn't avoid his eyes. Glitter coated on his clay skin and black hair.

"I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the rules of the duels here?" said Murugan. His voice was soft and smooth.

"No," I muttered.

He smiled sympathetically. "I've also heard you let Lord Lankeshwar decide the terms which was not the best decision. But before the duel you'll get an opportunity to clarify the specific terms like the size of the area the battle takes place, how long it takes place and other terms which he brings up. Since you are the disadvantaged one you're demands will be favoured. Okay?"