Chapter 29

"Why do all of you need to be so dramatic? Ring the doorbell or use a megaphone or something," I groaned.

"Wait until you meet him," smirked Gregor.

"Was that his magic. The weird pressure and vibrations?" I asked.

"No. He practices magic manipulation but most fabrication. The thing that just happened was him using absolute obedience magic."

"It didn't seem like mind control or compulsion," I said.

"It's not compulsion magic. Obedience magic is magic manipulation, it messes with a person's magic making them sick or causing them pain. And the type he uses is only passed between demon lords," explained Gregor. "My grandfather's obedience magic is cast through the eternal darkness so it has a lager range and is less specific."

"Then why did I feel it more than you? You have more darkness inside you than I do," I grumbled, my head still ached.

"It still hurts me if he actually tries to cast it seriously." said Gregor. "What he did is just a little bit of the spell so I can handle it. It's like going through portals, it's bad the first few times but your body gets used to it."

"Why is he here? Is it for you?" I asked.

"Maybe. He might just be here to see uncle Alfred for something but the timing is a bit suspicious," said Gregor wringing his hands.

I sighed. "So now what? Do we go greet him?"

Gregor narrowed his eyes and looked me up and down. "Um... I'm not sure about that."

"What- why?" I asked.

"I just...I don't how he'll react to you. He won't be hostile like my parents and Percy but he's eccentric and volatile and unpredictable," said Gregor looking away.

"So you think he won't like me?" I asked.

Gregor smiled nervously. "Um...well..."

Reality rippled around me and I was in the earl's office, again. "Can't you just call me? Why must you use magic so much?" I asked.

Earl Alfred raised his eyebrow. "But that'll take so much longer."

"Tell me Alfred just how many of your treasures are stolen?" spoke a voice from behind me. It was deep and husky and made my body still. A wave of dread hit me, I was petrified.

"Most of them I bought or traded," said Earl Alfred nonchalantly.

"Most?" chuckled the voice.

"All except the shield," said the earl straightening his posture in his chair.

"Ah- yes the one you stole from me?" said the voice bemused. There was a hint of anger beneath the pleasant words.

The earl inhaled sharply before answering. "Yes, uncle Ushakanta."

"What about this spear?" asked the lord.

I turned my head slowly and glanced at him from the corner of my eye. Lord Lankeshwar was tall, with a thick black beard. There were lines of silver running through his braided hair. He was dressed all in black with a sheathed sword hung on his belt. I quickly turned back when I saw the lord move.

"I got it from Phalo-doko in exchange for the djinn bottle," said Earl Alfred.

"Oh? Wasn't that your ancestor's belonging? Don't you horde those?" asked the lord. I couldn't tell if it was his magic or his attitude but he seemed to emanate power and intimidation. Even the air around seem oppressive.

"It didn't have a djinn inside it anymore so it wasn't worth much," replied the earl.

"That's an odd way to look at it. You don't use this spear or the shield either, so does that mean they have no value either?" asked Lord Lankeshwar.