Chapter 4

Dinner was awkward, besides the few polite comments Gran and I exchanged, it was silent. Gregor kept his eyes fixed on his plate, probably feeling the awkwardness as well. I stuffed my mouth with food so I wouldn't have to speak.

"Is he staying here tonight?" asked Gran taking her plate and standing up once she was done eating. She took her plate to the sink and rinsed it before placing it in the dishwasher.

"I guess," I said. "Is it alright if he does?"

"It would be rude to throw them out since you have already let them in," said Gran wiping her hands on a towel and opening the fridge. She took out a bowl of chocolates and placed it on the table, she made a point to not look at Gregor.

"Can you clean up after you finish eating,"

"Yes Gran," I replied.

She smiled and walked to her room, "thank you dear, put away the leftovers in a Tupperware and place them in the fridge."

"Okay," I said. She closed the door behind her and locked it with a click. Gran had never locked her door before. The moment she left the heaviness in the air seemed to leave. Gregor skewered a single pie with his fork.

"Does she hate all demons or is it just me?" he asked. He was pouting and he looked annoyed. I don't blame him, I would be annoyed as well if I was treated like an unwanted house spirit.

"I don't think she hates all demons," I lied. Based on the way Gran talked about demons today, I realised she must have a prejudice against them. I hadn't noticed it before but maybe it was not quite as overt. She was polite to Miss Rosy, but never ate her food. Now that I think about it, she never let Mick into her shop when he delivered goods. Even when he offered to carry them in for her. I didn't want to think Gran was racist, but her words today forced me to admit it.

"Oh joy," said Gregor sarcastically, "guess I am just special."

"Are you done?" I asked. Gregor looked up from his plate.

"Yeah," he muttered. I transferred the leftover Shepherd's pie into the box. Gregor stood up and rinsed his dish in the sink. The box was a little too small for the amount of leftovers but I managed to close the lid. Gregor closed the dishwasher door and walked to the table and slipped a chocolate in to his mouth. I bet he'd taste like chocolate if I kiss him now.

"Do you want one?" asked Gregor pointing at the bowl of chocolates. "You're drooling." A devilish smile danced on his lips. I wanted is lips to dance on me.

"Okay," I said. Gregor picked up a chocolate and leaned over the table placing right by my face. I opened my mouth and he slipped it in. His fingers grazed my lips. It was sweet and creamy as it slowly melted in my mouth. Gregor watched me intently as he licked the chocolate off his fingers. My face became hot, everything became hot.

Gregor chuckled, "Is it good?"

"Yep," I said abruptly. I took the Pyrex dish and the Tupperware box and tuned away. He looked like he wanted to pounce on me and I probably wouldn't have minded. I placed the Tupperware in the fridge and the Pyrex dish in the sink to soak. Gregor gathered his cloak and his flute from the couch and followed me up the stairs back to my room. I gave him one of my pyjamas and explained in detail how to get hot water in the shower.

I was on my bed watching a YouTube video on my phone when he came back after a shower, hair still dripping wet. My clothes were a bit too big for him. I thought we would be about the same height, but he was a bit thinner. He stood at the base of the bed, looked at me, then at Claire's bed and pouted.

"Too bad your bed is just a single," he said and climbed onto Claire's bed. Each word he spoke, each movement, each look was seductive or flirtatious. Was it for me or is it simply how he always was? I left to take a shower. When I came back he was in my bed, under the sheets and flipping through one of my books.