Chapter 21

"Why can't we use a portal? You have those portable portal making machines right?" I said as I got into the jeep.

Cin smirked at me and then shook her head. "It's not that far away that I would be worth using it." Cin revved the engine which made a soft purr rather than a guttural roar.

"How long will it take to get there?" I asked buckling my seat belt.

"An hour or so, longer if we run into a zombie horde." Cin's words were nonchalant and monotone but she had said something so absurd I couldn't believe her.

"Are you serious?" I whispered as I turned to her with wide eyes.

"No, no! I was kidding," laughed Cin. We drove out of the garage and down a gravel path which connected the house to the main gate.

"Oh good," I sighed.

"They only comes this close to the manor at night or in winter. They mostly stay in the swamp." Cin stopped by the gate and got out of the car. She keyed in a code into the touch screen on the wall besides the gate. With a loud screeching beep the gate began to open.

"You have a haunted swamp?" I asked when she climbed back in. I couldn't tell if she was kidding earlier since she had a deadpan expression when she made jokes.

"Yeah... There's really natural way for a swamp to exist here. My theory is that it used to be a fairy forest but then the zombies got out of control and so the fairies cut the connection to their original forest. But we can't be too sure since no one in the fairy world is willing to take the blame," said Cin.

I guess she wasn't kidding. I made a mental note to only attempt escape during the day. We drove through the forest along a dirt path. It was hot in the jeep even though it was about 25 °C outside. I lowered the window of the car door letting in a stream of cool woody air.

"If you don't mind me asking Cin. Why are you working for him? He's kind of evil isn't he?"

Cin shrugged. "He's paying for my university- sort of. The university here is free but covers all my other costs and I like working on his projects. I mostly help him make his illusions."

"Is that fun?" I wondered if she helped build the illusions that trapped me before.

"Yeah. It's most security systems and making training simulations but a couple months ago he worked with an artist for an exhibition. He used to work for an architecture firm in the city but now he only does freelance stuff. I think managing his lands and doing a full time job was too stressful for him."

I was stunned. I hadn't really considered the earl would have a mundane day job. I imagined he just sat in a throne all day brooding and being evil.

"So you aren't involved in his whole magic stealing thing?" I whispered. Cin seemed really nice and well adjusted, it didn't make sense why she'd work for the earl. No matter how much he pays he was a villain right?

"No, my magic is mix between magic manipulation and emotional magic. Magic stealing is hardcore magic manipulation. Besides magic stealing is up there with necromancy, and obedience magic as the most nefarious magic," said Cin.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Are you seriously trying to be righteous right now? You work of the earl who does exactly that!"

"What you need to realize Tristan, is that demons are terrible, hypocrites and terrible hypocrites." Cin looked away from the road and winked at me.

"Was that meant to be a joke?" I asked hesitantly.

"Well that depends on if you found it funny or not," chuckled Cin. "By the way, have you heard the legend about the white mountain yet?"