Chapter 2

I ran as fast as I could down main street holding on tight to all my things. My lungs were on fire. All I could hear was my footsteps, all I thoughts of was running further as fast as I could. I turned from the main street down to mushroom lane. I ducked around the corner by a pastry shop called "The Pasty Shop" to catch my breath. I put my box back in my bag and slung it over my shoulder. Holding my umbrella tightly in my hand I looked over the corner to see if he was still chasing me.

Everything looked normal. There was the bustling crowds and their respective sounds of unclear voices and shuffled footsteps. No crazy hot demon chasing me with a axe or trying to seduce me with his charm. I should run back home before he finds me but my breath was still ragged and my muscles were still tired and in pain. I leaned against the wall of the pastry shop. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and held back tears. I turned to run down mushroom lane. My legs felt weak I thought I was going to fall over. Gregor was in front of me. He wasn't a second ago but then he was walking towards me. I had to run but I was already too tired and my adrenaline was wearing out. He stepped closer, his blade glinted in the sunlight. He raised his axe.

"Stop!" I cried. My familiars jumped out of my umbrella and pushed down his hood over Gregor's eyes. My shadow bunnies pushed and pulled his cloak to distract him and obscure his vision. Confused and stopped mid-swing Gregor dropped his axe. A shot of adrenaline flooded my veins and I ran passed him. Down mushroom lane, Evergreen path and back to Grim place. I had never been so glad to see those silly circus letters before. I pushed the door but it didn't open. Gran was out! I pulled off my bag, ripped the zip and plunged my hand into my bag feeling for the keys.

"You!" I heard Gregor's angry voice from down the street. I caught the pink elephant and pulled out the key. My hands were shaking. I unsuccessfully stabbed the key hole twice before the key went in. Gregor was getting closer I could hear his footsteps getting louder. The door swung open, I jumped in and I slammed the door shut behind me. Fuck! The key is on the outside! Gregor was right outside the door. I turned the deadbolt lock and the locks on the top and bottom of the door. If he pushes hard enough he could force the door open. Gregor looked at me, through the glass panel of the door. His grey eyes were merciless- he was out for blood. He raised his axe above his head and swung at the door.

Tuck. The axe hit with the anticlimactic sound of a pebble hitting a window. He frowned at the door and then at his axe confused. He must have expected a bigger sound and to at least crack the door. Not willing to give up he swung his axe at the door again and aimed for the glass not the wood.

Tuck. He looked flabbergasted. It was hilarious.

"Is it made of magic?" I shout through the door.

"What?" he shouted back, inspecting his axe to make sure there was nothing wrong with it.

"Is your axe made of magic?" I asked.

"Why would you care?" he hissed. He looked pissed. How wonderful.

"There is magic neutralising charm on this shop. Magic doesn't work here."

"Fuck off!" cried Gregor giving the door one final failing hit.

"Fuck off yourself!" I shouted back, a wide smile on my face. He glowered at me, like an angry cat who I had just stepped on. He turned away and sat down on the ground in front of the door. He looked really upset which wasn't as fun as before.

"Are you alright?" I shouted through the door.

"Fuck off! You won now anyway stop rubbing it in," hissed Gregor like a dejected puppy. What was he talking about? Won what?

"What are you talking about? I just took your shadow I didn't do anything else. It will come back in a couple days."

"It won't!" shouted Gregor standing up and walking back to the door. "It won't come back! That's why you got hired for doing this right?"