Chapter 11

It was cold, humid and bright. So bright it took my eyes took a while to focus on the surroundings. Green leaves, trees and grass appeared out of the blur, wet with dew and shrouded in mist. The forest smelled like honey and seemed to glitter in the gentle sunlight.

Gregor appeared out of thin air, stumbled forward and grabbed my arm to stop from falling down. His legs shook and his body collapsed against mine. I wrapped my arm around his back and helped prop him up.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Gregor scoffed. "My body feels like it's falling apart."

"So no?" I cringed. I could barely keep straight with Gregor's weight on me, he wasn't heavy but I was weak.

"I'll survive don't worry," chuckled Gregor grimly. I looked back at the portal we came from. It was barely visible, just a shimmer in the air against the trunk of a tree. I wouldn't have been able to see it if I didn't know it was there. I shuffled away, half carrying Gregor.

Gregor groaned, his feet tripped over each other as he walked beside me. "Wait Tristan, let me rest a bit."

I gritted my teeth, we were still right by the portal and in danger of being attacked by the tentacle creature. I dragged Gregor to a nearby clearing, it was only a few meters away but having the portal out of sight made me feel better. I eased Gregor onto the ground so he sat with his back against a tree. He leaned back and closed his eyes, beads of sweat precipitated on his forehead. His every breath was strained.

"We should move, the sea monster might come through," I whispered to Gregor as if the monster might hear us through the portal.

Gregor shook his head, "I broke the mirror leading to it, we should be safe."

"How? you threw your axe at the monster," I said.

Gregor sighed and opened his eyes. He looked at me but did not speak.

"No- you used more magic?" I gasped.

Gregor closed his eyes and turned his head away from me. "Only a bit. Just enough to crack the mirror."

My eyes widened and my pulse quickened. "You shouldn't have done that! You were already feeling weak," I cried.

"What was I supposed to do Tristan? What other option did I have?" groaned Gregor.

"We could have figured something out. Something that didn't involve you hurting yourself more," I muttered.

Gregor didn't turn back to me or reply. I was grateful for what he had done, and I knew it was to protect us, but what was the point if it hurt him the process. I sat down beside him, so close our arms touched. Gregor looked like he was sleeping or at least trying to.

"Gregor... I'm sorry. I know you meant well, but you can't be so reckless," I whispered. I turned to him, but he did not respond. I hugged my knees to my chest.

Gregor didn't reply at first, but I heard him sigh like he was frustrated or annoyed. He turned to me slowly and placed his head on my shoulder. He sighed again and held my hand.

"Tristan... I didn't know what else to do but use magic. It was a reflex, I've always had magic and I've always used it. Not having any makes me feel insecure- I feel so weak and useless," said Gregor. "I'm scared that I won't get home. Scared that I won't get my magic back. All day we've been running and fighting and running more."

I should have said something consoling or reassuring. In situations where people spill their hearts for me and are venerable around me I freeze. I didn't know what would be the appropriate things to say or if there was an appropriate thing to say. So I just said what I thought would make me feel better if I was the one feeling scared.