2.

ー☍ー

Avelynn-- that was my name

I could vomit at how glamorous it was obviously intended to sound. What's with authors and their obsession with fantasiacal last names that don't make sense? What's next, Aquasteed Marineforest?

Somehow that random name sounded familiar. Maybe the author's ripping off another series again...

Still sniffling meekly, his knees joined, his shoulders tense, his hands curled stiffly in his lap-- with a head of platinum blonde hair, the crown prince was sitting so fearfully on the couch, alone.

"Luis!" 

My home-wear dress was rather frilly but decently reserved-- long sleeves with frippery cuffs, a plain green-and-white dress with ruffled buttons and a red ribbon.

It was not something I should've been meeting royalty with-- my hair wasn't even tied up. But I was a child-- who cared? I don't.

At my call, my fiance leaped, squeaking like a little mouse in fright. In another moment, he was ready to start bawling again.

"Seriously, what prince cries when he sees his fiance?" I reprimanded sharply, "there should be a limit to how wimpy you are, no matter how ugly I may be."

The prince flinched, tears spilling from his eyes-- "I- I- I'm not..."

"Oh, stop crying!" I snapped sharply, "be a man!"

He stopped. Scrunched up his face in devastation-- then wailed at the top of his lungs.

Seeing that, I could only sigh. Look who's getting more detention, yipee. Who on earth raised this child, that the firstborn of such a mighty king could be so meek and cowardly?

Ignoring his incessant sobbing and the fumble of maids and servants as they began to notice the scene, yelling around something about how 'Miss Avelynn is bullying Prince Luis again', I pulled out a hand toward him.

He stopped crying for half a moment, confused-- 

I extended my hand toward him, as if asking for his hand in marriage-- but no, I was the girl in this relationship, so that couldn't be.

"Show me your hand," I told him, hiding the annoyance in my voice. 

Almost too slowly, he warily move a hand away from his chest, not trusting me to handle it any nearer.

Taking his hand without his permission, he yelped-- I grabbed him by the wrist, turned his palm upward-- and deposited something within his fingers.

"Avelynn!" Father's voice was booming in an enraged holler, "I told you to stay in your room, young lady!"

I leaped, startled.

"That's enough bullying the prince out of you!" he was yelling at me again, "you ought to be re-disciplined on the mannerisms of a mistress! I believed you were smarter than this, Avelynn."

This is gonna be long.

I yawned, staring at the floor, nodding once in a while to pretend I still listened to his incessant rambling. The only part I really needed to hear was how long he wanted me to stay in my room.

Looking back, I found the prince had cheered up, eyes fixated on the little, folded paper rose in his hands-- he looked so entranced by it, as if he had never seen anything of the sort--

He beamed into such an honest, innocent smile at the sight of it.

Seeing it, I felt relief wash over me.

"Are you listening, Avelynn?!"

"Yes, sir!" I snapped back.