25.

Luis was a nervous wreck

In fact, he's jittering so hard in his seat, his teeth were chattering and he was counting his knuckles, wondering why there were ten of them. Are there supposed to be ten of them?

Beside him, Avelynn looked so calm. Smug, her nose pointed up and her brows furrowed in a frown, as usual... Sometimes, Luis really admired how unaffected she could be.

She was always cool, calm, and serious.

In contrast to him-- a wimp, meek, and so painfully shy.

Why was his fiancee so manly? Why was he such a sissy? This was such a misplacement. Did someone up there mess up the concoctions of personality when they split off their individual traits?

"Luis," suddenly, a hand is on his, and Luis found himself blushing madly, realizing Avelynn had her palm on his hand.

"Wha--" he stuttered, then swallowed, "yes?"

Avelynn's smile was always a little sly. Nico was kind, like an angel, but Avelynn was always prideful, like a little devil with her eyes on her treasure. Confident, bold, and fearless.

Luis really liked to see it.

"Why are you so nervous? You're just my escort," she sounded so exasperated.

"But--" he stumbled, composure fading, "it's your debutante! What if I mess up and embarrass you? All eyes are going to be on us, and on Lady Michela and Lord Terren as well... but mainly on us, because, because we're the throne-to-be, but still..."

"Lu," she interrupted him, leaning closer in a a way that made Luis' cheeks heat up, "what do you have to fear when your fiancee's the best dancer in the hall?"

And somehow, that made Luis crack a shy smile.

Avelynn was right. There's no reason for Luis to be nervous-- he's there to be Avelynn's escort, and to have her first dance. Just for today, he and Terren were simply ornaments for their beloved ladies rather than the other way around.

Today was their day-- Luis should just be proud of her.

In another moment, Avelynn removed her hand and continued to face the outside. Her mask of indifference was back on, and really, Luis found himself swooning from how dependable she was. If he was a girl and she was a guy, he'd literally... What's the word... fangirl? Yeah.

He's so, so blessed to have such a capable, amazing fiancee.