Chapter 22

"What if they hate me?" Michael whined into the phone. "They won't hate you Mikey, it's just dinner, you can come and then leave" I assured him, he was so nervous about meeting my parents properly as my boyfriend.

 "What if they decide I am dinner" he gasped dramatically which caused me to laugh. "Are you calling my family cannibals?" I asked. "N-no I didn't mean that Amy I'm so-" I cut him off "I'm joking Michael! Just be here at six and make sure you come showered!"

"No I thought I would come in my natural odour, so they know me at a personal level" Michael replied causing me to cringe, "Just have a shower"

After getting off the phone with Michael I got up and changed into some jeans and a tank top. I went downstairs to help my mum with dinner; she was making the classing spaghetti and meatballs. I told mum about Mike's dislike to most vegetables so she decided not to cook them tonight, just to please him.

"What time will he be here again?" My mum asked stirring the pasta in the water.

"Around 6" I replied, it seemed like mum was more nervous than I was, surprisingly I wasn’t too nervous about it, I was proud to be dating Michael, and there was nothing about him my parents shouldn’t like.

"It’s 5:50" She replied loudly. Yeah she definitely was nervous.

"Mum! Calm down, its Michael, he will probably be a little late anyway" Suddenly the bell rang causing me to curse under my own breathe.

"Or he will be early, but it’s fine mum" I assured her before hurrying towards the door. I quickly swung it open to be greeted with a red head, a bright tuft of red on top of Michael head.

"Hey!" He greeted pulling me in for a hug.

"You dyed your hair again!" I said excitedly, when really inside I was shedding a tear for his hair in ten years’ time. "It looks great"

"Thanks" Michael replied a blush forming on his pale cheeks. "Come inside" I said pulling him in the house and closing the door behind him. I lead him into the living room where dad was seated on his laptop. I was a little worried about him meeting my dad, he had gotten a new position at work and he didn’t enjoy it at all and has been in a bad mood all week.

"Dad, meet Michael" I said hoping he isn't in a bad mood right now. He looked up and gave us a fake looking smile; of course he would be bitter about this. "It's nice to meet you Michael" My dad said getting up with an outstretched arm for Michael to take. Once they shook hands mum called us in for dinner.

We sat at the table, Michael beside me and my parents in front of us mum in front of Michael and dad in front of me. "So Michael, first of all, that is quite an interesting hair colour choice" Mum spoke up trying to be as polite at possible, I can tell she didn’t want this to go down badly.

"It is very bright, but it won’t last, it will be a different colour next week" Michael joked causing both my parents to laugh, okay good start I guess.

"Watch out son, you'll look like me soon" My dad said gesturing to his shiny bald head.