26

"Where are we going?" Sherlock questioned as they walked through the cold night air.

"Well," Jim explained finally as they reached the park, "you're leaving tomorrow and I don't want you to go."

"So you brought me to a park?"

"I need to talk to you and plus, it's late. There will be no one in the park if it's late."

The men walked through the gates and reached the centre of the park, hand in hand. It was nearing midnight and the stars were just beginning to appear.

Jim sat down on the grass and pulled Sherlock down with him. They led down on the grass and stared up at the blackness of the sky.

Sherlock let out a deep sigh.

"It's our last day together and we've waisted it." Sherlock whispered, mostly to himself.

"I wouldn't say we've waisted it," Jim replied, "I mean, I have to come up with a new nickname for you."

"What do you mean?" Sherlock asked, turning his head towards Jim and into the ground.

"I mean, I can't exactly call you 'The Virgin' anymore, can I?" Jim chuckled turning towards the detective.

"Shut up!" Sherlock argued playfully before diving on top of him and pinning him to the floor.

"Make me."

The kiss was soft considering that fact the Sherlock was literally on top of the criminal.

"Why do you have to go?" Moriarty whispered.

"The same reason you have to stay," Holmes added, "to keep you safe."

Jim pushed Sherlock off of him and sat up.

"Excuse me. I was the worlds only consulting criminal. I single handedly brought the British Government to their knees. I faked shooting myself in the face and you don't think I can look after myself?"

Sherlock decided not to reply. He looked back at the sky and smiled.

"It's beautiful." Jim exclaimed when he'd finally returned to staring at the stars.

"Yeah, it it." Sherlock answered staring at his lover and paying no attention to the sky.

After a while of comfortable silence, Sherlock decided to bring up the subject they'd been avoiding.

"I'm going to be up there tomorrow."

"You're going into space?" Jim asked sarcastically.

"No, but I'm going to be up in the sky, none the less."

"With the stars, where you're meant to be."

"Shut up." Sherlock argued for the second time that night.

This time, Sherlock decided to attack him from the waist and hugged him instead. Once he'd finished his awful attempt at a cuddle attack, they returned to their original spots. Jim reached down and intertwined their fingers.

"I'm going to miss you." He announced suddenly.

"I'll be back, Jim!"

"I know... But 6 months is a long time."

"I suppose it is, yes."

The stars were soon becoming their way of stalling for time. Neither of the men wanted to go back. They wanted to stay there forever. They wanted to stay together.

"Guess how much I love you." Moriarty asked breaking the silence.

"How much?" Sherlock replied, playing along.

"I love you to the moon and back."

"Impossible."

"I'd find a way."

"Well in that case," Sherlock sat up, "I love you to Pluto and back."

Jim sat up too, "Why Pluto?"

"Because Pluto is the furthest planet from Earth."

"You do know Pluto isn't a planet, right?" Jim asked, shocked that Sherlock had bothered to learn about the solar system.

"Who says love is a planet?" Sherlock asked leaning in close enough for their noses to touch.

Sherlock's lips met Jim's. They sat their for a while, just kissing. No talking. No noises. Just enjoying each other's company.

When Sherlock looked up at the sky, he realised that wherever he was in the world, Jim would be there. Maybe not in person, but in spirit.

Because when Sherlock looked up at the sky, he knew Jim would be looking at the same sky, and the same stars, and the same solar system and it reminded Sherlock that he wasn't alone. Jim was with him. Always.