23

"...and that's the end of my talk for today. See you all same time next week." Jim said finishing his lecture.

It had been about a year since 'the incident', which was what they were now calling it. They explained the story to Lestrade and somehow managed to persuade him that Anderson was the one who committed the murder, which he didn't deny. (Maybe Anderson was guilty for something, or maybe he just wanted to go to jail. Maybe the men had managed to persuade Anderson that he was the murderer too)

They had gotten on with their lives since then. Jim became a lecturer whilst Sherlock continued his role as the worlds only consulting detective. Life as usual. Of course, Jim did often find himself missing his life as a criminal. Watching the life drain out of someone's eyes was obviously a hard pastime to compete with.

Jim watched the room as they packed away their things. They were perfectly in sync. They put their books and pencil cases into their bags. Next, they stood up one by one to leave.

Jim was putting his notes away when he noticed a familiar face at the top of the stairs.

"Hello stranger." He said as Sherlock reached him.

He gave him a quick kiss as the students watched. They had two reactions. Some of them 'awww'ed at the sight before them whilst others walked away in disgust. Jim particularly disliked the last group of people.

"How was work?" Jim continued trying to change the subject so that he didn't go on a killing spree.

"Well..." Sherlock sighed, "you know..."

"So, how was she killed?"

"I don't-"

"Hey," Jim said, cutting him off, "don't give me that. I know you do."

The last student to leave, Susan, walked over to the two men, interrupting their conversation.

"Hey Professor." She somehow managed to sound flirty.

"Susan." Jim said, acknowledging her but still not turning his gaze away from the detective.

"I just wanted to thank you for last night." The student was edging closer to him with every word. Soon, he could feel her breath on his neck.

Moriarty still kept his eyes glued to Sherlock hoping he'd understand. Of course, he knew he wouldn't, he's Sherlock.

Susan winked at Jim and left the room without another word. Her exit was then followed by Sherlock's. Sherlock ran out the opposite door and towards the car park.

"Sherl..." The man sighed following his boyfriend down the corridor.

~

"Sherlock." Jim shouted to him through the wind of the night, "Sherl wait. Are you ever going to stop walking?"

With that, Sherlock turned to face him. The street lights faintly illuminated his face.

"Finally. You see, wasn't that easy?"

The detective opened his mouth slightly.

"Think very carefully about what you're about to say." Jim said slowly, feeling a drop of rain on his forehead.

Sherlock thought very carefully as the rain for heavier.

He finally came up with a suitable question, "Why did you sleep with her?"

Jim took a step back and blinked a few times as if he was trying to comprehend what Sherlock had just said.

"Slept with her... Jesus Sherlock, for a detective you're not very observant."

"You said you were out with friends last night. You lied."

Jim laughed to himself.

"Sherl, I am her lecturer. I'm her teacher and you come up with the conclusion that I had sex with her?"

"Then why did you lie to me?"

Moriarty stared at Sherlock's curly mop of hair slowly becoming damp in the rain and sighed.

"Because I didn't want you to react like this." He said finally.

"Like what?" Holmes half-shouted.

"This!" Jim shouted back, "We're having an argument in the rain, Sherlock."

A silence spread across the car park. The silence was occasionally accompanied by the howling of the wind or the passing of a car but the constant rain drops were making the scene more meaningful. Funny how drops of water can do such things.

"I was tutoring her." Jim muttered loud enough for the man opposite to hear.

"Then why did you let her get so close to you?"

"Why did you let me?"

"Didn't you see how in love with you she is? You must have! If you missed it you'd be blind." Sherlock was back to shouting again.

"I did see that." Jim replied, "But you didn't see that I didn't even look at her in that room. Sherl, I was looking at you."

"What about Moran?" Sherlock asked suddenly.

Jim was slightly taken aback by the mans change of subject. "Seb?"

"Seb..." Sherlock repeated the mans word almost sarcastically, "So that's what you're calling him now?"

"Sherlock..." Jim said swallowing hard.

"Do you meet every Friday to discuss mused tactics?"

"Sherl..."

"Or maybe you just have a date night. Maybe it starts in a restaurant and ends up in his bedroom."

"Sherlock." Jim tried desperately.

"What? Did he find out about your secret boyfriend? Well don't worry about that because you won't have to worry about me soon."

"Sherlock!" Jim finally broke, "Sebastian Moran is dead. Sebastian is dead and it's all my fault. Okay, yes. Yes. Yes, I was in love with him but when he died on the case I sent him on, I... I just couldn't do it Sherlock. I couldn't... It took me 2 years to move on. Just like John. Because John moved on after your death. He got married. And that's what I intend to do."

"I... I'm sorry. I didn't know." Sherlock stuttered awkwardly.

"Well of course you didn't fucking know!" Jim shouted, more out of sadness then anger.

Another eerie silence spread across the car park. The rain was now becoming a thunderstorm.

Moriarty took a deep breath, "I'm sorry, Sherlock. I just..."

"I know. But it's my fault. I shouldn't have brought it up." Sherlock took Jim's frozen hand in his own.

"Can we talk about it at home?" Jim suggested.

"Sure." Sherlock replied.