Chapter 35

The morning had arrived, but I simply laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling as I recollected the memories of last night. Darius, Constantine’s grandfather, wanted me to go to them. Did that mean he wanted me to break the curse, or was he expecting that I would eventually find out that I couldn’t do such a thing and wanted to humiliate me face-to-face?

But the dream revealed that Darius and the rest of the Black family knew that we knew where they were. Regal’s investigation wasn’t as secretive as he thought. They were expecting us.

After I shoved the bed sheets off of me, I immediately made my way to Fariyel’s office. My parents were having a hushed but intense conversation with the headmasters. At my entrance, they all turned their attention to me.

“They know we know where they are.” I blurted out.

Regal was confused by the information. “How do you know that?”

“I dreamt with Constantine’s grandpa last night. He told me.” Then I paused and felt my lips tremble as I spoke my next words. “He also told me to go to them.”

My dad’s jaw clenched. “Those bastards. Taunting my little girl.”

“You’re going too.” I said and that surprised my dad. He stared at me with furrowed brows as I added, “You and Ezekiel made a promise when you were still friends, right? Shouldn’t you keep that promise?”

Even though Darius showed me the dreams last night, I had no idea as to exactly what their promise with each other was. I just knew that one existed between my and Constantine’s fathers. And it was promise that was precious to both of them.

Ezekiel still remembered their promise years later. And by the look of my dad’s face right now, it seemed he remembered too.

“Where did you hear about that?”

“I told you. I dreamt with Constantine’s grandpa last night—Darius. He showed me some scenarios with Ezekiel and he mentioned some stuff about you. I didn’t exactly catch onto what he was speaking about, but I caught onto enough to know that you two made a promise and he’s still keeping it.”

My mom looked at my dad with narrowed eyes. “You said you didn’t have anything more to add to the situation, Cameron. But it looks like you obviously do.”

There was no reply from my dad and he continued to sit in silence.

Fariyel leaned her elbows on her desk and spoke. “Cameron. Please. The two of you…you and Ezekiel were so close. What caused you to part?”

“Daddy.” I softly said and he looked up from his seat. “Let’s break the curse. So I can see Constantine again and so you can be at peace with Ezekiel.”

“I am at peace with Ezekiel.” He finally spoke, but even those words looked as if they had been forced out of him. “Ezekiel and I left on peaceful terms. We didn’t part with bitter feelings. It was mutual.”

My mom placed her hand on top of his. “Good. Keep going.”

He sighed heavily before finally giving in.

“Fine. You’re right, Fariyel.” He gazed into the headmaster’s eyes. “Ezekiel and I were close. We were practically brothers. We were inseparable. And the closer we became, the more Ezekiel came to trust me.

“He revealed to me what the Black Curse was and what it did to him and those around him. That’s why I knew about the Black Curse so well. But that’s also why he liked to keep to himself when we were younger. We became friends anyway though and I told him I would watch his back.”