Chapter 33

The question was asked quickly and roughly.

“T-told me what?” I found myself stuttering and mentally kicked myself. In front of Constantine’s dad, I had to stand firm. I couldn’t show that I was afraid of him. Who knows what he would do to me and Constantine with the knowledge that he not only had a grasp on his son, but on me too?

I stood up straight and stared into Ezekiel’s eyes before asking a question of my own. “What are you doing here?”

“I had a feeling Baron was telling you something unnecessary, so I quickly stepped in.” He approached me slowly, and I couldn’t help it when I began to back away with every step he took. I said I would stand firm in front of him, but it was difficult to go on with that thought when Constantine’s menacing dad was standing right before me wearing a cold mask that was completely blank.

“Where’s Constantine?” I asked, taking another step back. “What are you doing with him?”

Ezekiel ignored me and instead, asked a question of his own. “How much did Baron tell you?”

“All of you had already been affected by the curse.” I found myself admitting. “Except Constantine. And you want to keep it that way.”

“If you know that, then why are you still trying to get him back?” he asked, continuing to prowl towards me with his fangs slowly protruding past his bottom lip.

The sight made my chin tremble, but I stiffened it so I would be able to speak. I didn’t answer Ezekiel’s question the same way I did when Baron asked mostly because Constantine’s dad was much more intimidating than his uncle. And I had a feeling if I said the real answer, Ezekiel would rip me apart right here and now.

“Haven’t you ever thought about trying to break the curse?” I asked instead. “If you broke the curse, then you wouldn’t have to worry about Constantine getting hurt.”

He hissed. “Do you think we haven’t already tried breaking the curse? Do you think we haven’t asked every witch in the world for assistance? Do you think we haven’t gone around the world, through realms, searching for an answer?”

I gulped. With each question that he asked, his voice had gone lower and lower, almost into a growl.

“Now, give me an answer to my first question.” He glared. “Who told you that you could communicate with the Black family through the same means as with Con?”

There didn’t seem to be a reason for me to lie, so I just told Ezekiel the truth. “A sage. His name is Nikolai.”

My answer made Constantine’s father stiffen. I stared at him in confusion, wondering why he reacted that way. Then he suddenly teleported to stand in front of me. He was even taller than Constantine and I felt like a bug under his gaze.

“Nikolai? The bastard’s finally decided to come out from hiding?” He towered above me but I held my ground and stared into his eyes. “Now, why would he help someone like you?”

“Beats me.” was my simple answer.

Ezekiel’s face blanked out for a moment and I was startled by it until his dark look came back on. “You’re just Cam’s daughter. A human-turned-vampire. Why would Nikolai Sage give you his assistance?”

“Cam?” I repeated. Cam was the nickname only my dad’s closest friends used to call him. If anyone else tried to get close by using that nickname with him, he would immediately send them the message that he didn’t appreciate the nickname coming from their mouths. That usually stopped anyone from calling him Cam if they weren’t close.

Was that a slip of the tongue, or did Ezekiel seriously just call my dad Cam?

He realized what he said and sealed his lips into a thin line before looking away. Then for some reason, his mood went even darker. From embarrassment? No, he didn’t look embarrassed. More like frustrated–annoyed.