Light disrespects my human life.

Nate doesn't talk.

The SPKs' glares are somewhat hostile and laced with suspicion.

I'm friendly!

Ugh.

"Near... can we talk... just a little?" I ask timidly.

He lifts a train of the tracks. "Sure, you can talk. But the others will be listening."

"What's the point in that?" I huff.

"I believe that they should learn about how I know you. Otherwise, I'll find this environment extremely unpleasant."

"That's what you're worried about?"

Nate places the red engine on the floor.

I roll my eyes.

Fine.

Sassy little marshmallow.

I turn to the SKP members.

"Ok... I met Near when I was working on the Kira case with L, to be honest, I was more there for moral support and because he became very attached to me... anyway, Near was part of the investigation as well, because we recruited him and Mello." I explain, "L is..."

"He's still alive," Nate delivers the news, "and I very much suspect that he's the father of your... children?"

"Yeah... triplets..." I scratch the back of my neck sheepishly.

"Congratulations..."

"Can I get a hug now?"

"Ok."

Nate approaches me and wraps his arms around 43% of my much larger self.

He presses his ear to my stomach as I stroke his soft hair, the corners of his lips forming a faint smile.

The SPK look scandalised.

I mean, sure, Nate did just hug someone.

And smile.

But it's cute!

Rester dabs his eyes with a handkerchief.

"Wow... I didn't realise..." Gevanni begins, unsure of how to continue.

"We became a sort of family..." I explain, "but Mello..."

Nate's content smile vanishes. "Mello is being stupid."

"That's not very nice..." I murmur.

"I think, he looks lonely," Nate ponders indifferently, placing his small hand on my Watermelones as they kick like jumping fleas.

I try not to sigh. "He'll come round, Mello's sensitive but he doesn't know it."

"Ok, but he did kill people," Gevanni folds his arms in opposition.

"Mello will use any means necessary to achieve his ends, I've said this before," Nate says.

"Wait..." Halle's eyes are wide. "I'm sorry, but you mentioned L... he's still alive? Could you... maybe explain?"

I'm fully prepared to launch into a detailed recollection of the events of the Yotsuba arc, when Nate demands that I sit on a chair and Rester offers me a biscuit.

I will get along with these people.

They feed me biscuits.

"We had no choice but to fake L's death," I conclude, "he was completely backed into a corner."

Rester nods in interest.

Gevanni blinks a few extra times.

Halle acts like any other anime character, with a small bead of sweat on her forehead.