Childish behaviour and inevitable death.

I have contacted my troops and they have assembled.

If you are a troop plis say hello.

Something cold and bone-like covers my mouth.

I don't move a muscle.

Not that I can anyway.

I can't see the thing that's trapped me, which only means one thing...

It's Rem.

And all of a sudden she comes into view.

Her fiery red eyes pierce through me like knives.

Oh, shits.

"I'm here to talk, Lola Ward, you have nothing to fear... not yet anyway," Rem begins in her detached ghost-like voice.

DAMIAN COME SAVE MEEEEEE!   

The shinigami removes the hand that was covering my mouth.

"How can I help?" I ask sheepishly.

Rem seems to glare at me. "Ryuk has told me about you, I know where you come from and what you know. All I want is to save Misa, but I do not trust Light Yagami and his plan, he'll only use her."

My mouth feels dry.

I swallow. "Yeah, you're right... if I leave things as they are just now, you'd be forced to kill L in order to save Misa's life, which would inevitably..."

"Kill me," Rem finishes. "You wish for me to spare L's life, but I can only promise that if Misa's life is not under threat."

I chew the inside of my lip. "Ok," I pause to think, "we can make a deal, one that saves them both."

"What do you suggest?"

"Help me to fake L's death, pretend to kill him with a fake page of your death note."

"And if I do this, Misa will be saved?"

"I can't promise anything beyond... the 28th of January, 2010, because that's as far into the future as I know."

"If Misa dies before that day, or as a result of your actions in the near future, I will kill L," Rem says in a chilling tone.

So basically if I go up and murder Misa after the 10th Rem's still gonna kill me.

"Alright... it's a deal. I'll be seeing you after Higuchi is caught, so we'll plan the stage of L's death then," I say, remaining somewhat calm. "Don't let Light know."

"I understand," she says, before disappearing through the wall.

I take several shaky breaths before collapsing to my knees.

Oh God...

I feel ill.

I'm not cut out for this sort of thing...

【L】

I hide out in Misa's room.

"You sure you're ok?" She peers at my face. "You don't look too good..."

"I'm fine," I tell her shakily.

"Hey!" Misa's face light's up. "Let's put some music on!"

"Alright..."

She jumps off the sofa and grabs her iPod.

The old iPod.

Like, the one your grandma kept in her kitchen but never used because she didn't have a clue how it worked.