Chapter 14

HAYDEN McCarthy :

I kept looking at her eyes for some hints about what had she heard. I regained my composure and put on my poker face. What am I even doing?
And where the hell is Delilah? How come she is inside the office without confirmation.
"Take a seat Ms. Kingsley" I ordered firmly. "Lets get this over with, show me your designs"
She was eyeing me time to time.
"What?" I snapped irritated at her.
"Nothing" she averted her gaze quickly and
Then opened her brochure and started explaining me designs. But I was not interested in the marriage. Then why would  I concentrate on the shitty designs. I was just going through it half heartedly when she was staring at me again. That was the last straw. I was already damn irritated.

Thats it" I slammed the file on the table and stood up.  She stood up after me.
"What?"  she lightly asked.
"Exactly what? Why are you seeing me like this, lets face this, whatever you heard , you haven't listened or seen anything, you got it or otherwise... you don't want to know otherwise, I guess" I hissed glaring her.
She furrowed her  brows or acted, I don't know.  Then cleared her throat  "Listen you can talk , I promise I wont say a word, you know i will be there for you if you want to share, Its not good yo bottle up your emotions" she started giving lecture.
"I don't need your pity, don't poke your nose in my business"  I snapped agitatingly.
"Really?  its not pity believe me , I know when people pity you, you hate it, and I am just showing ... Showing kindness , humanly care as you can put it.." she said air quoting her words.
" Oh Ms. Kingsley , I am not going to buy your kindness act, get that straight through your head, I very well know people of your type, now take this damn brochure because I don't like any colour combinations. I don't know how people even hire you? My PA will inform you if your services are required or not, you may leave" I said throwing the book in front of her done with the day already...
"Listen don't go on my profession, no need for any calls, I myself quit planning this stupid event with a stuck up like you" she slightly raised her voice leaving my office.

Damn... Damn I should not have showed my anger to her. Where is my practice of calm, blank demeanour. And what has she done to me?...
I took out my frustration of Veronica and my father on her, And her work was nice. Who Am I kidding? It was best in her profession. I had thoroughly checked her professional background even though I am not interested in marriage. I could see that she was on the verge of tears but didn't and maintained her calm composure and stood strong. I on the other hand lose my temper with her.
Shouldn't I be composed and blank which I have been habituated with.
And my PA , lets not even start about her. I phoned her to come to my office. She came in with a writing pad. " Why did you let Ms Kingsley in my office without confirmation" i questioned strictly with a blank expression..
" Umm.. sir I thought it was your meeting time, and she said she will just show herself in, so I agreed with her" she said meekly.
"Where is your professionalism , she will say and you will not even confirm with me before sending her to my office, Who is your boss Delilah??" I questioned darkly.
"I am sorry sir, i promise it will not happen again" she murmured fearfully..
Good that should be the effect on people not pity I thought...
"Leave" I said sternly.
She quickly rushed out of my office. Fucking hell.. this all started because of that Veronica ... I will have to teach her a lesson..
And that Elena.. she has to come on that exact time when my father was there.. I wouldn't have yelled at her if she hadn't come.. I am feeling uneasy after snapping at her.. she must be very upset...
Whoa Hayden calm down.. don't think about her.. already she has seen so much of you... You need to behave... I reminded myself... I took ibuprofen for headache and attended pending important meetings . In the evening , I took an early leave having enough drama for the day...
***
I reached home..
Martha was sitting in the living room going through some channels on the screen.
"Good evening dear, you okay?? You are looking more tired than usual" she interrogated
" Are you feeling well? Is there any problem??" She fired questions in one breathe.
"I am okay Martha.. just slight headache due to work" i replied spreading tiredly on the couch.
She narrowed her eyes not buying my lies..
I just shrugged.. but she didn't budge. She was standing there with hands on her hips..
"I am starving, i will go freshen up, warm up the food" I said to divert the topic..
She sighed knowing me too well that I am not going to share..
I ate my dinner in silence ignoring Martha and her curious stares and retired to bed thinking about the happenings of today...