Chapter 7

We walk out of Hot Topic, E.J. wearing a hoodie that actually fits him and after a bit of a row at the checkout, I finally won the argument and paid for both of us, which is saying a lot since we are both leaving with three bags filled with clothing each.

"If you keep on buying clothing like this we are going to be carrying very heavy when we start our journey to our next stop. We need suitcases in any case thanks to this shopping spree," E.J. says, a smile on his face, proudly sporting the Iron Man hoodie that I held up while I sang to him.

"Yeah well, maybe we should get ourselves a butler or something to travel with us. You know, someone who can do all the heavy lifting," I answer, looking around us at the shops, the money I have still burning a huge hole in my pocket, just asking to be spent.

"Don't be ridiculous," E.J. answers. "Let's rather just get somewhere to sit down. I need some coffee."

"I'm sure there's probably a Starbuck in here somewhere," I answer, looking over my shoulder as if expecting to see a Starbucks pop up that I missed as I walked by.

"I was thinking more something where we can just relax a bit. Maybe grab a bite to eat as well," E.J. answers.

"Or we can go back to the motel and order in before I spend every penny I have," I suggest. I don't really want to tell E.J. that I want to get the hell away from the prying eyes of people and that I have had enough of little girls looking at me for one day.

"Sure, whatever you want. I just need to get some place warm right now," E.J. answer. "And food will help a lot with that."

I smile at him, and I want to take his hand so bad. I think it's still about when he ran out on me earlier. There's a part of me that's scared that he would disappear again and that this time he won't come back at all, and I just cannot image that happening for a second. It has to be that, because I have never wanted to hold anyone's hand before. Apart from my mom when I was little off course, but that was different. In fact, holding your mom's hand doesn't even count.

"Cool. We can catch a movie or something as well and plan what we want to do tomorrow. I was thinking Empire State Building or something," I answer, pushing my hands into my hoodie pockets, letting the bags from Hot Topic dangle on my arm. At least it keeps my hands warm and will probably keep them from doing things they shouldn't be wanting to do.

"Just don't make it one of those gross horror movies you like and I'm in," E.J. answers as we walk into a sleet of frosty rain outside the mall, immediately drenching me from head to toe, the hoodies we just bought and pulled over our clothing leaving no shelter against the elemental forces of the New York weather.

"God..." I mutter, looking up and down the street, hoping to see a taxi and at the same time trying to tie the shopping bags together so that the water won't go inside and wet everything we have just bought. "It's a good thing you made me buy those pyjamas I didn't want. I think I might need something warm and snuggly when I get home."

"Told you so..." E.J. says through clattering teeth while I notice the huge Christmas tree outside the mall. Somehow I didn't see it when I walked in. It's like I forgot its Christmas time all together.

"I don't think it will take our families too long to know we are actually missing," I say. A frown forms on E.J.'s face, his eyes quizzical.

I point toward the tree.

"Christmas is only a few days away," I tell him, already in my mind wondering how we will spend Christmas. Last Christmas was the worst for me. I was in between foster homes, sitting on my bed in a group home, opening a package that was crudely wrapped containing a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, and some other essentials. Don't get me wrong, I was grateful, but it wasn't Christmas at all.