Prologue

"I can't believe I wasted my time on you! I believed it was all real! Do you know how much it hurts to know that you're happy with him and you've moved on, like it was all a lie! Did you even love me?" Tears were streaming down my face, mixing in with the rain falling steadily. I wiped away at the wetness on my face, but it was useless. The rain kept falling and the tears wouldn't stop.

She stood there, saying nothing, her face blank of any emotion. It made me furious to see her like she didn't care.

"Are you not gonna say anything? Do I not matter now that he is your 'love'?"

She didn't utter a word. She stood still. 

My heart was breaking, falling into pieces at her feet. And she didn't care. She didn't.

"I thought this was all a dream...the broken heart, the breakup... But when I woke up, the pain returned and I wished I had amnesia to forget about all the stupid things we used to have." It hurt to say those things because I didn't ever want to forget the little things we had; like the way it felt to fall asleep next to her and the way she held my hand when we were alone. But I had to, because I had to move on. I had to  find some peace of mind without her.

"Because I don't love you anymore and I never will," I almost whispered at the end, the pain almost crushing me with the words I had spoken.

I turned to walk away. I couldn't bear it anymore. This was it. No more would I wait around. I was going to move on, even if it killed me.

I stepped off the curb, my boot splashing into the water that was accumalating alongside it.

"Lauren!" I ignored her cry. I couldn't give in. I took another step forward, my head down in hopes to drown out her voice with the thunder and rain. "LAUREN—"