Chapter Seventeen

Camila

Dinah was out sick for tonight's performance which meant that we would have to rearrange and split up her parts between us. Not to mention we were doing a mashup of Miss Movin' On with We Will Rock You, Bad Blood and Bitch Better Have My Money. It was something we had practiced as a whole to now have to switch it up at the last minute.

"We're on in five. Are you ready?" Lauren asked. We were all dressed in blue and sequins were involved. Her bodysuit hugged all her curves and she looked gorgeous as always. Usually, I would be drooling over her, but I was a little sad.

"I miss Dinah," I mumbled softly. I knew she would be back for the other performances, but it hurt to not have my best friend here and know that she wasn't here because she wasn't feeling great. 

"Aw. Baby girl. She's going to get better and then she'll come back. You know we would be nothing without Big Foot." Everything was sweet until she jested about Dinah being the tallest in the group. Dinah came up with new mashups of Lauren's name while Lauren came up with as many names that would be in reference to Dinah's height.

"Did you just come up with that right now?" I asked, never hearing her call Dinah that before.

"Yup. I'm gonna use it the next time we see her. I think she'll get a kick out of it." Lauren entwined herself with me. I didn't know where she began and where I ended from the way she was holding me. "But seriously, Dinah will be fine. We're gonna kick ass at this show for her. Don't worry your pretty head." She gave me a kiss on my head and then one on my temple. Then before giving me a sweet kiss, she looked around to make sure no one would see us.

The crew did one last call to round us all up to walk to the stage. Ally and Normani joined us shortly with small smiles. We had never performed without Dinah. Not having her was like that phantom limb syndrome where you could still feel you had that limb, but you knew otherwise. That's what it felt like. That's how I felt without my other half here.

We started out the show just fine. Since we had practiced, we didn't sound too bad. We were doing better than I expected. Everything was going just right on schedule. We were just about to start up the mashup for Miss Movin' On. We sang our song first. Then once we were done, we started transitioning into We Will Rock You. We stood at the top of the steps, raising our hands up and clapping on the beat.

"Hands up!" Ally spoke in the mic. "There you go." We got the crowd to start clapping on the beat with us. We all did that for about a bar before we went to our next position for the song.

"Alright, everybody," Lauren said, pulling her mic from the stand and then making her way down the steps with the rest of us. "We want you to sing this next song with us real quick. Hey!" We stayed in the same formation; Ally was on my right, Lauren on my left and Normani on the far end.

We began to sing We Will Rock You, the crowd joining in with us. Looking around the many faces, you could tell that many of them were not expecting this mashup.

"Aha! We tricked you!" I said after we had finished singing the first line. I grabbed onto the mic stand and started playing with it while I walked forwards and backward. I was anxious, I was excited. I couldn't stay still and I'm sure everyone could tell. 

"We will, we will rock you." I let go of the mic stand and stood up on one of the speakers, spreading out my arms. Then I started to clap to the beat again. "We will, we will rock you." I got off the speaker, walking past the mic to walk back forward again.

"Everyone sing with me!" I spoke. Again, I stood up on the speaker moved to the front of the stage. I only stayed there for a few seconds before I started walking backward. "Now we got bad blood--" I was cut off as I tripped walking backward, landing on my ass and progressing onto my left side once I had fallen completely.