Chapter Ten

Lauren

For the first time in my life, I was nervous. I was always the confident one, the one to lead the charge. But this, this was different. This would be the first time, from what I could remember, that I would be performing in front of a crowd; a huge crowd. This knowledge was causing me to have my stomach in knots and my legs jittery, waiting for us to be called onto the stage to perform.

The rehearsal earlier on was nothing compared to now. I was okay then, but now I was going to perform in front of millions of people. Not just the people in the crowd, but also the people at home watching the show.

Apart from all that, there was the fans. They were everywhere; screaming my name mostly. We hardly could get through the rehearsal without them screaming for me to marry them or how much they loved me. According to the girls, the Harmonizers were more rowdy than usual. I understood of course. It was the first time they had seen me in public. But I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming response from the fans. They went crazy over us, but not to the point where security was fending them off every 5 seconds.

"You okay Laur?" The youngest spoke to me, concern laced in her voice and etched into her face when I turned to look at her.

I lied. It was something I was doing more than usual. But it was a defense mechanism, to protect myself from everyone and everything.

"Uh yeah." My voice wavered at the end, which didn't escape her ears. However much I had been lying, I guess I wasn't a professional at it yet just yet.

"You know, you can be nervous. This is the first time you're performing. It's natural. Even if you feel like you don't got this, we've got your back. We've always had it and we always will. You're our Laurenza."

My eyes watered at her words. The tears were threatening to spill over. This girl was something else. Not only had she taken the heat off of me yesterday during the radio show, she was now providing me with words of comfort.

It eased some of my nerves. It didn't make everything go away, but enough for me to regain some control and feel a little more confident for the performance.

"Fifth Harmony to the stage." Someone yelled.

I quickly wiped away at my eyes, careful to not mess with my make-up. I didn't want to go on national TV looking like a raccoon.

"Thank you Dinah." I pulled her in for a hug, really grateful for the words spoken.

"Will always have your back Laur." We stepped after an appropriate amount of time.

"Girls let's get a move on." Ally yelled from somewhere.

"Mama Al always on top of us." Dinah commented.

I laughed. It was true. The littlest was always a mother hen around us.

We made our way to the stage, positioning ourselves for the start of the song.

I ran my hand down my costume, smoothing it out but also giving myself a moment to relax before my nerves took over again.

I looked up and Camz was looking at me. She was concerned. I could tell from the way she was looking at me. I nodded at her, to let her know I was okay. But I was far from it. My stomach was in knots again and I wanted to run. But I couldn't. I couldn't let the girls down or the fans who had made the effort to be here.

Camila turned back around and struck a pose, such as she was supposed to.

"Alright Harmonizers. We're not going to keep you waiting any longer. Please welcome Fifth Harmony." Bob said before he walked off the stage. The camera man moved closer to get a better shot of us.