Task One: That Moment - Lupus Entries

Lupus # 1 - Dana Cressento 

Aléxia P.O.V 

Hiding isn't something to be proud of, its rather an cowardly instinct than a representation of fear or anxiety. Covered by the shadows whilst others fight isn't the way I was raised; I’m a Tse’khenen, what do they expect, me to sit idly by whilst the elders claim to be the saviour of our tribe. They’re wrong. 

The trees seem to encase us in a darken shell, the light of the blaring sun trying urgently to penetrate through the foliage sphere. Each branch weaves coherently into one another; their pale complexion shown through the veils of concentrated light. Grasping the bark, I cautiously scale the tree, my hands digging deeper into the soft sap, when my head  graces the surface. For a while, I stare into the sky, it’s dreamy blue appearance hidden by the thicket of clouds roaming in the west. Screams from below shatter my daze, each tremor of a voice dragging me towards further the ground. The sparse pine cones  crunch under my footing, its soft sound overwhelmed by the petrified screams. The fabric of my coat harshly tugs against a rogue branch drawing me closer to the stump. Its roots gently carved with initials, its underlayer rotted from the exposure. The words find themselves circling around my head until my daughter's name reveals itself underneath a pile of withered branches.

"You werewolves are weird with love, families and soulmates are cute and all but still if I was hungry and with a human well... " He pauses for a moment, his mind clearly overwhelmed by his one thought. Stupid vampire. 

His lanky arms hang at his sides, allowing for his armour to drape across his narrow shoulders. He stares, cluelessly, towards the ground surround my legs; his teeth piercing through the acute tips of his mouth. The ripping sounds of flesh replacing the anxiety released through multiple waves of screaming. He falls clumsily towards my eye level until his hands harshly borough underneath the soft soil.

"Aléxia” he screams, his wickedness, for a brief moment, silenced by a strand of fear. 

He stares towards my husband, his throat throbbing with thirst, allowing for his hands to slacken from his grip. I kick his ankle violently, pushing his body towards the ground. His whimpers fill the air, not out of pain, but embarrassment, as he drags himself towards the main clearing. Reaching for his ankle I’m stopped by a blunt object clipping the back of my head; it’s rounded heel clunking harshly against the soft ground. I fall towards the ground, each laboured breath breaking through the haze of musty air; His body moving closer until his hands reach past my hipbone. His arm so tough yet short grazes my, loosely combed, hair until the pine cone riled through the flimsy tips falls towards the ground. My eyes focus on his teeth drawing nearer to my neck until his warmed breath wavers across my cheek. 

With one swift motion, he delves into my, almost ghostly, skin until the blood leeches from the wound. I reach for his cape dragged behind his tall physique when his face, bold and aged, blurred into the background along with my grasp of reality. Dana’s face appears from behind a hollowed oak tree. I try to reach for her, my hands desperately grasping the ground, until my eyes shut tight. For the last time.

Eight years later

Dana’s P.O.V

"Mother I miss you "

Dad doesn't want to remember he's too caught up with the toxin of the night to care about his wife. How long has it been, four years and yet our last day seems too fresh in my mind. It’s hard not having you there; you were my rock to my existence and I find myself wondering how it would feel to lose my daughter. The counselling year was not a complete success; I know that you had your heart set on your daughter leading the young into the future but that isn't who I am. I'm my mother’s daughter, always wanting to leave until the past catches up and we only have ourselves to blame. I don't feel the pain over your death anymore, which according to Dad shows I'm finally finished grieving, but the pain doesn't disappear it turns to numbness. I want you here; to see my wedding, to walk me down the aisle. No one should live without a mother; no one should experience the pain of losing a part of them. Nothing will fill that empty hole inside; nothing else will feel like home or love again and for that reason I'm sorry mother. The truth is I can’t live without a piece of my heart; I never will"