Chapter 34

My parents and I decided to go to our own private room for me to tell them about Constantine. I started from the beginning for them. I told them how I was walking home from school and got attacked and then saved by Constantine. I told them about our next meeting, which was in my dreams, and then our next physical meeting at the mall with our friends.

Then Constantine confronted me about the dreams the next time we met again, which was in the woods when we were all trying to find the mountain lion I mentioned. That reminded me that the mother lion and her cubs were all were-shifters. I was clueless the whole time, but it made me wonder how they looked like in human form. Were the cubs just as cute? Most likely.

I continued to tell the sequence of events between Constantine and me. I also told them about the dreams, but like the others times I explained my interactions with Constantine, I didn’t include the more intimate things we did together.

This time would’ve been especially embarrassing since these were my parents I was talking to.

By the time I finished, my mom was practically in tears.

“That’s so sweet.” She sobbed. “You slowly fell in love when you were separated.”

“That makes absolutely no sense.” My dad gave her a look at the corner of his eyes before he stared at me. “And you don’t actually love him, do you?”

“I…” I tilted my head. “I’m not sure.”

“You idiots!” my mom suddenly shouted, making both of us jolt. She always had random mood swings that took us by surprise. “Of course Mariam loves that boy! Why do you think she’s so desperate to break the Black Curse?”

My mom decided to answer her own question. “Because she wants to be with him and have him be at ease about the curse! She loves him enough to spend an eternity with him!” her eyes sparkled as she spoke and she was staring off into the distance with her hands clasped together.

After a few seconds of staring at her, my dad looked back at me again. “Love?” he repeated.

I simply shrugged in response, unsure myself. Constantine was important, but I wasn’t sure how romantic love felt and if I really was willing to stay with him forever, just as my parents are together now.

My mom scoffed at our little exchange before she placed her hand on my dad’s shoulder. “You must know something about Ezekiel. Anything! Anything to get us to know the man better and understand him!”

His jaw clenched before my dad looked down at the carpet. “We used to be friends. Now, I don’t know him.”

My mom shook him by the shoulders. “Stop lying! That mage said you were just as desperate as Mariam to break the curse due to the boy’s father! You still know him well. He was your friend. He’s still your friend.”

“No, he’s not. And it’s sage, not mage.” He corrected her.

“Liar.” My mom hissed while deciding to ignore his latter comment. “He called you Cam. Only your closest friends are allowed to call you so. You definitely know something more that you’re not telling us. Both you and that mage are doing the same thing!”

My dad continued to remain stubborn. “I don’t know Ezekiel anymore.”

Eventually, my mom changed tactics. She took a deep breath and grasped my dad’s hand and held it in between hers. “Is it really something that big to hide from me? Me, Cameron?” she said in a soft voice.

Amazingly, it was working. My dad twitched from my mom’s gentle tone and they stared into each other’s eyes for what felt like a long time to me. They were in those moments where they were in their own zones which I couldn’t interrupt, so I waited. I wanted to hear whether or not my dad really did know something about Ezekiel that he was told when they were still friends.