Chapter 24

Here am I having coffee with Emma. This is really awkward.

What did I get myself into?

"So..Geraldine.." She started.

I slowly looked up to her."Yes? Emma?" I was nervous. She was Emmanuel's mom. Gosh.

"How's Erika and Elizabeth doing?" She asked still maintaining a smile.

"Erm..they're doing fine. They are really nice people.." I replied without putting a thought into it. Nice people? Way a go..Geraldine.

"Yes..they are." She agreed,"How about Emmanuel? What do you think of him?"

"W-w-what?" I mumbled. Oh no. What am I suppose to say?

"Erm.. Emmanuel.." I started smiling."He's kind and warm. Even though he doesn't show it alot. But he's actually a very nice and sincere person if you actually would-"

I stopped there. Oh. My. Gosh. What did I just say in front of Emma? I cannot give it away to her. Especially Emmanuel's mom.

"Erm.." I swallowed.

"Yes..He is." Emma sighed."Even you can tell that. After his brother died..he was indeed colder and he keeps people out.."

Brother? After his brother died? Just like he told me the other time..

"Brother? What happened? " I asked as politely as possible. Because I knew. It was hard for her too.

"Nicholas was his younger brother..and of course my youngest son." She continued. "Emmanuel would send him to school often. And one day..one day.."

Emma was tearing up. I wanted to know yet I can't do this to her.

"Emma..I'm sorr-" I was cut off but the next words she said.

"They got into a car accident.." She wiped away a tear." Emmanuel made it..but Nicholas..he didn't.."

After hearing those words, I got to her and hugged her.

"I'm sorry..Emma.But thank you for telling me." I whispered.

Now I knew. Emmanuel .. he was in pain. He felt responsible for Nicholas' death.

I pulled away from the hug and sat down. She was taken aback.

"Geraldine. Thank you for understanding him. Even..Erika and Elizabeth does not know of it." She replied.

I looked at her without saying a word.

"Emmanuel feels he doesn't have the right to take care of someone. At least he feels he doesn't even have the ability to..I can see the way he treats Erika." Emma continued.

I kept silent. I didn't know how to answer her at all.

She looked down at her watch and stood up."I better be going soon..I need to go to the airport."

I stood up and nodded."Good bye Emma. Have a safe flight. And thank you."

She smiled at me with that warm smile of hers and left.

I have to go too. I need to get myself ready for the party.

As I walked, I went through everything that Emma said.

I know the real reason now. That's why during our trip on the yacht he knew how I felt when Liz was sent to the hospital.

He knew.

I reached my house and took a quick shower.

My hair was growing longer. In fact I could tie up to a small pony tail.