CHAPTER SIX - Rosaline and Mathew

C H A P T E R - S I X

I lazily pushed through the door, yawning and warily tossing my hair back. April rushed in ahead of me, walking to the seats organised in a circle. I had Drama first two lessons, meaning Lucas would be here to. For someone I hated, he was on my mind a lot. I’d worry about how he’d act towards me in class if he saw me and what he’d do. I wandered in, Lucas already in his seat in a deep conversation with a friend. I toss my bag to the floor and sit down when Mr. Goodman walks in.

“Good morning class. So, like I said we’ll be casting Mathew and Rosaline. Please get in line and turn to page 65” He ordered and there was rushing of several feet, dying to be first in line. I slowly walked over. I looked down at my script and turned to page 65 as Mr. Goodman instructed where Mathew kidnaps Rosaline into the old Mill and frightens her.

“April is the director and I’m the assistant director,” The teacher chimes, sitting into a seat beside April. I waited in line while Mr. Goodman chose one boy and one girl at random to play the scene. This went on for over an hour and I yawned quite often. Everyone was amazing in my opinion, but I could see that crease on the teacher’s head that he wasn’t fully satisfied. Suddenly, my name was called and I stumbled into the miniature stage. I waited for my co-star for the audition to be called out.

“And Lucas” he points at Lucas and I internally groan. I see Lucas glare unpleasantly at me. Well I didn’t want to audition with him either so I guess we’re both out of luck. He strutted towards the stage, hands in his pockets but pulling one out to brush his hair.

“Right, let’s start from where Rosaline questions Mathew,” urges Mr. Goodman and we start. An eerie silence in the room as the class watches. I glance down at my script then back up, trying to look into Lucas’s eyes as if I was scared. Not because I was scared of him, but because Rosaline was meant to be.

“W-who are you?” I stutter in a slightly high pitched voice. I realised my voice was trembling and Lucas stepped closer. “Why have to kidnapped m-me?” I asked him.

Lucas chuckled softly but that wasn’t in the script at all. I glimpsed down then back up. Maybe he was doing some improve or he found my stuttering ridiculous. Well I’m no professional actor.

“Who am I?” he repeats as Mathew, his voice taunting and cold. “Why would you know? Why would your kingdom know at all?” he says in his deep voice. Hollow just like Mathew would be feeling. “I’m- was the next heir in line for the Copperfield family. I’m the Kings and Queens first son.” He sniggers derisively; taking a harsh step forwards and making me jump backwards. I catch my breath quickly and read the next line. “Yo-you’re the first son? Not- “

“Not Benjamin? No. They disowned me because I fell in love with a commoner and we ran away together. But-“ his voice shook now and he looked down at the floor. However I was surprised to see how soft and caring his eyes were when he stared back at me. I felt a sudden rush of guilt inside me. “Turns out she wanted the family fortune by marrying me. I only ruined that when I wanted to run away with her so she left me.”

My lips trembled, the way he said is seemed so realistic. Like he’d lost the love of his life and living without her was killing him bit by bit. I sighed and remembered to say my next line. “But I’m meant to marry your brother.” I choke out, my throat suddenly dry. Lucas clenches his teeth, his eyes gone dark and violent again.