CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN - Deserves To Be King

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y  S E V E N 

I let out a raspy breath and smiled. I couldn’t have been happier to see Joe, stood there straight and unafraid. Also, unlike the previous days I’d seen him he didn’t look too bad.

Something or someone moved behind him. I craned my neck but the bustling of people in front of me restricted my view. The men guarding the area advanced and Joe pulled out the gun I knew he always carried.

“Oh Joe, let’s not do something stupid.” Albert chuckled and held up a bony finger. Joe gave a humourless laugh and I tried to get up onto my feet. “Let Ava go and then I won’t do anything stupid.”

Then, through the gap in the men in front of me, I saw blonde hair and blue eyes. Lucas came into the light, his hair ruffled and his costume now a mess. I looked down at myself and mentally laughed. Here I am sat in a dress, kidnapped and locked in the school basement.

“I see you brought your back up,” laughed Albert and Gibson gave a harsh smirk. I saw Lucas’s eye flicker to everyone in the room and then land on me. I couldn’t tell if he were sad or angry.

“No, but the Denmark Army Force are on their way.” Joe said casually and shrugged with one shoulder. “Don’t think I didn’t know what you were up to, Albert. I’ve been keeping an eye on you and your friends. The King knew as well. He figured Ava would tell Henry, whom she trusts so much that he’d relay the information to his father. He sent me and had and emergency group sent here as back up. It was all clear from that day me and Maria got called to school, isn’t that right, Mr. Gibson?” He looked directly at Gibson and cocked up and eyebrow.

He just chortled and nodded. “You always suspected me, I guess.” He also raised his pistol and pointed it at Joe’s chest. Lucas moved forwards and I wished he didn’t. He just attracted more attention.

My palms had begun to sweat and I wanted to scream. Joe said the emergency group were on their way but that could have been a lie to buy some time.

“Give it up, Albert. Kill her now whilst we know won’t get Henry to become King. Did you ever stop to ask what he wanted?” Joe’s eye flickered to Henry briefly who was clearly crying silently. His eyes were watering and his body shook with every sob.

I didn’t think I’d ever see him cry. Not like this but I wanted to run to him because he was still innocent. He hates what his dad is doing.

“Well if that’s the case then it doesn’t matter who dies. Even if Henry can’t be King, I’ll kill her, I’ll kill you all!” Albert roared and turned to his son and beckoned him over. “Come, Henry, we’ll let these finish them off.”

The men started to move. Two came towards me while the others went for Joe and Lucas. There was a gun shot and the man that had chased Luke and me ducked quickly and began to fire at Joe.