CHAPTER THREE - A Familiar Stranger

C H A P T E R - T H R E E

Joe wrestled with the key in the lock on our apartment door. I stood impatiently outside with Maria who looked much better now. The green colour was gone and she'd managed to freshen up in the airport bathroom. Joe finally opened the door and spread his arms for effect, showcasing the apartment. It was beautiful. The kitchen with a black counter, a huge fridge and black cupboards contrasted the white sitting area with the TV and cream sofa on the left. It shined and I felt already at home. It was nothing like the palace back at Denmark, but I knew I could get used to living here for a year. Maria sighed and entered the kitchen part, gliding her hands over the surface of the counter and checking the fridge. Joe just slouched on the couch, legs on the table making Maria yell. I opened up the cat carrier, letting Mr. Kitty run loose around the apartment. He purred and leapt into the couch beside Joe.

I remembered the luggage still outside and headed out. I saw my bag and leaned down only to get up and hit my head on somthing - wait I meant someone. I say 'ow' slowly and looked up at this stranger. But funnily this stranger was familiar. He was the same boy I saw on the plan with the girl with blazing red hair. His expression was blank while I stared at him, absentmindedly taking in his features, kind of making a note of him in my head. His dirty blond-ish hair, sparkling blue eyes, straight face that seemed very stern and lifeless right now. Did he not smile?

I laugh nervously and stood up straight, clutching my bag to my chest. "Sorry," I mumble and outstretch my hand out. "I saw you on the plane from Denmark to here, don't know if you noticed me." I smiled at him, trying to make coversation, but he didn't respond by saying anything or shaking my hand. I take it back to holding my bag, laughing awkwardly.

"You've been stalking us?" He asked, his tone venomous and someone you wouldn't want to cross. It was funny how I'd seen him on the plane laughing, (so he does laugh) but now he looked angry and also a little dangerous.

He side stepped me, walking away from me and dissapearing in the lift. I sigh and grab more bags, walking back in but still staring at the elevator.

"Okay," Maria says, rubbing her forehead. "No food, so Joe, can you go exchange the money and then go buy some food and then get a take away for tonight."

Joe jumps up, swinging on his jacket, heaving in the rest of out bags then shutting the door behind him. I sigh and sit on one of the chairs by the counter.

"What's wrong?" She asks, grabbing her back and heading down the narrow hallway to the bedrooms. I follow, picking up my luggage too.

"Nothing, " I smile and enter a cute little room that seemed perfect, right at the end of the hall. Maria's bedroom she'd chosen was close to mine, I guess Joe had to take the one farther away from ours. Maria stomped into my room, sitting on the edge of my made bed.

"School tomorrow," She squeals and I grin. "Do you know your lessons and everything? What did you pick?" She asks and I join her on my bed.

"They sent me my timetable by email. I took photography of course, media class, creative writing class and drama. Just for fun." I shrug and dump my bag on my bed, extracting my clothes and storing them in my drawers.