CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - Anthony Cartwright

C H A P T E R - E I G H T E E N

I leaned on the table on my elbows, massaging my temples to ease the headache. I groan and sit back, listening to students act their scene and Goodman giving them feedback.

Last night I’d got no sleep. I tossed and turned and woke several times. I had dreams of guns pointing at me. Another of Henry carrying the gun and almost killing me but the worst part was Henry shooting Lucas. That woke me with a start and covered in cold sweat.

I chair scraped nearby and my eye darted for the sound. Lucas had pulled up a seat next to me.

“Are you okay?” He asked and I smiled at his concern. Still the headache made me shut my eyes tight and run my fingers through my hair. I don’t bother answering and sit back, groaning once again.

“I’ll take that as a no,” he smirks, making me smile again.

“Well, drama’s getting boring.Gary flicking his hair back annoys me. Also April keeps whistling.” I grimace and look down at my lap.

“Drama isn’t boring.” Lucas says firmly and I snigger.

“Yes it is.” I answer back.

“Photography’s boring.” He comments. I gasp, more or less derisively.

“Don’t say that!” I snap. “Exactly” he holds up his hands and I fold my arms.

“Fine, but you like Drama and I don’t. And if you find photography boring, you don’t take that lesson anyway.” I sigh and feel his face come closer to mine. His hot breath blows on my hair and brushes my cheeks.

“But you get to act with me,” he breathes, his voice barely audible but husky. I get nervous. The palms of my hands are sweaty from being clamped together. His face was really close to mine and I didn’t dare move my face to look at him. “That’s the best thing about Drama for you.” He moves away and I sigh with both relief and disappointment. The thought about telling Lucas everything was haunting me. I wanted to tell him but a part of me wanted to keep quiet. I mean, we hardly know each other, we fight and we hate each other. But he kissed me, even if it was to find out why I’m being chased. I’ve made up my mind.

I turned, bracing myself and sucking in a huge breath. He’d gone. He was next to Goodman. I shot up and walked to him - slapping April on the arm to stop her whistling - on the way. As soon as Goodman was back with Gary and the others, I tugged at Lucas’ arm. He turned, one eyebrow shot up at my hold on his arm. He scrunched up his face but doesn’t shrug my hand off.

“Can I help you?” He asks. I bit my lip to stop my smile. He looked cute with that face, but I also wanted to slap him so I could talk to him without laughing. I let go of his arm but the bell rang.

Really? Now?

Lucas walks away to get his bag. I quickly sprint back over to my chair, skidding to a stop and lunging for my bag on the floor. I spin around but Lucas has already gone. I push past April who yelled my name in frustration.