EPILOUGE

E P I L O U G E

                                                           ~~~

I patted down my long, silky red dress and exhaled. I had my hair up with a few curly strands escaping the bun. I grabbed my shawl from the bed which was the same colour as my dress and wrapped it around me shoulders. It was cold as it was December but there was no sign of snow.

I slipped my feet into my heels and adjusted myself with the height. After one last glance at the mirror I twirled around, the dress beat against my leg from the wind. I walked down the narrow hallway with my shoes clacking loudly against the floor.

“Is he here yet?” I asked and sat down beside Maria. She shook her head without sparing me a glance.

“I’m sure he’ll be here soon,” she muttered but kept watching TV.

“I know but I’m nervous. I’m going to his house first to meet his family.” The thought scared me as much as it made me happy. I would finally meet his family but I was afraid I’d embarrass myself or they wouldn’t like me.

“Relax, it’ll be fine,” she turned to me this time and gave a friendly smile. “You’re lovely and if he’s taking you to meet his family, then he really does like you.”

I relaxed a little but I was still nervous. Lucas and I had been dating for months now. He’d even got his drivers license and a car which made it easier since he’d moved back to his renovated house which was newly decorated. Things were great but today, the day of the Christmas ball, he decides to take me to his house to meet his mum and sisters.

A knock at my door jolted me out of my reverie. I stood cautiously and walked over. I knew it was Lucas. Calm down I told myself and pulled the door open. Firstly my eyes fell on his red tie. The only bright colour with his black suit and white shirt. His hair was a mess but I liked it this way and his eyes – they were soft as his gaze swept over me.

He smiled and a blush rose to his cheek along with mine. He looked amazing and that sent my heart beating a mile and minute.

“You-you look beautiful,” he whispered. I wonder if my face had gone redder than it was.

“Thank you,” I managed. I tried to think of a compliment but nothing came to mind – well nothing that I could actually put into words without babbling.

“Come on, my mum and sisters are waiting.” He urged and held out his arm. I linked mine through his and shut our apartment door.

“Lucas, I’m scared.” I admitted and looked up to see his face.

“Why?” He smiled kindly and I realised he’d be there with me. Which made me a little less frightened but still.

“I’m meeting your family for the first time.”

“There’s nothing to be scared off. My family is nice, nicer than how I used to be to you anyway. We won’t even stay there long, my mum wants a couple of pictures and we’ll be off to school.”