CHAPTER TWENTY TWO - Under The Moonlight

C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y  T W O

I abandoned the thought of knocking on the door and gaped at Lucas with my hand in mid air. My mouth fell open and God knows how many times I blinked like an idiot.

I was faintly aware of the lift opening and closing with a couple heading to their room but that question was swimming in my mind.

‘Will you go out with me?’ He had asked that and it was the last thing I’d expected.

My mouth opened and closed but I was lost for words. Instead of replying – I answered his question…with a question.

“Did – did you just ask me out?” I say in a whisper and he nods nervously. So he did ask and here I am looking like a goldfish. My hand drops to my side and I look down at the floor.

“Why?” I ask without looking at him.

“Is that a ‘no’?”

My head whips up to look him in the eyes. Of course I didn’t mean ‘no’ but I’m just too shocked to understand why he’d want to go out with me. I shake my head and gulp slowly.

“I didn’t say that, I just want to know why.” I shrug and he sighs. I notice that the arguing from inside has died down a little.

“Okay,” I say and for a second I see a small smile come and go on his face. I try my best not to grin and decide to knock on the door.

“Great, I’ll see you on Monday around eight. Be ready.” He smiled. He walks away and turns right to his room.

The door swings open and I realise Maria is staring at me. Her hair’s a mess and she keeps glaring at Joe. I decide against asking what it’s about and walk down to my room.

As soon as my bedroom door is shut, I squeal like a 13 year old girl who bought some unicorn stickers. I take my jacket off and throw it on my desk chair before I jump onto my bed and scream into my pillow with joy.

He did ask me out. This was real and not some crazy dream. It was hard to get rid of the huge grin on my face but I didn’t want to forget what just happened.

I’m going to go on a date with Lucas.

***

Monday came rather slowly but I didn’t know whether that bugged me or not. No one likes school but I knew that wasn’t why I was waiting for Monday.

I had called up April and told her. At first she was confused until I explained but she’s happy for me and added some warnings at the end but I didn’t care.

“You need to stop smiling,” April says casually and I inhale loudly.