CHAPTER SEVEN - The Bully's Nice Friend

C H A P T E R - S E V E N

                                                       (Proofread)

Joe opened the apartment door that got stuck quite a lot lately and pushed it with his right shoulder. He groaned in pain when it opened and Maria rushed to his aid. “Stupid door,” she curses and smiles gracefully at me, looking down at me. “Aw, cute top and your hairs down. You don’t like your hair down.” She comments and I shrug, throwing my bag onto the couch and picking up and apple. “I know, my friend April made me my sweater and said my hair looks better down with it.” I reply, taking a bit out of my red apple, the juice squirting into my eye.

Joe sighed and joined me on the couch, turning on the TV and flicking through the channels. “So, I’m making Lasagne tonight,” Maria beamed and I grimaced which didn’t go unnoticed by Maria. She began frowning and putting her hands on her hips. “What’s with the face?” She points a wooden spoon at me. “You love my Lasagne.”

I try smiling and shrug lightly. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings but I also didn’t want to be reminded of that dreaded day where I was wearing Lasagne. Maria was furious with the stain and soon threw that top away. I lied and said I accidentally dropped it on myself, but I wasn’t going to tell her the whole truth. If I did, she’d take me back to Denmark and I’d never get to live my dream, even for a bit.

“Oh” I say suddenly, watching her sprinkle cheese on top of the lasagne, ready to be cooked. “I auditioned for a play and I got the female lead.” I grin and her mouth fell open, throwing cheese all over the counter. She shrieked really loudly and hugged me over the counter between us. “That’s amazing. You’ve never acted before but I bet they thought you were great.”

Joe stood up and walked towards us, patting me on the back, “Nice one kido, we’ll definitely come see the show.”

“Yes we will,” Maria chimes merrily and shoves the lasagne into the oven. After about half and hour the smell filled the whole apartment and I began to gag. The smell was sickly and I ran to my room, trying to get away from the smell. I’d rather starve to death.

***

I waved off Joe as he parked at the other side of the road again. I tried convincing him to leave but he said no every time. He wanted to make sure I was safe and would stay here until he was sure of it. My eyes flickered around for April in the front entrance but there was no sigh of the crazy red haired girl. I stood impatiently and tapped my foot when I glanced down at my clock. It was nearly 8.45 and we had to be in class by now. I figured she wasn’t going to turn up and span around, bumping head first into someone and making my bag spill on the floor, my camera hitting the hard concrete. I crouch down and reached for it, rubbing off the dirt and muttering under my breath. There were faint scratches but it turned on and I sighed in relief when another pair of hands started collecting my books together. I wanted to look up but we unfortunately bumped our heads and I yowled in pain.

“Sorry,” a soft manly voice chuckles that made my heart flutter. This time I do look and I see a boy with smooth brown hair, a nicely shaped jaw and a smile so bright it blinded me. But his smile was what caught my attention. It was so caring and apologetic. I hadn’t noticed him take my camera off me and examining it.