CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Butterflies

C H A P T E R - T H I R T EE N

I just grabbed my Creative Writing books from my locker when the door slammed shut. I’m lucky my hand didn’t get jammed or fingers chopped off. The sound make me jump but Paige’s seething face terrified me more.

            She’d slammed the door shut and I could see her clenched teeth. Jade and some other girl were right behind her, all looking rather bored.

“It’s your fault!” spat Paige and I furrowed my eyebrows. She punched my locker with her balled up fist and I stood there quite stupidly.

            “Because of you Lucas dumped me and I swear I’ll get you back for it.” She sobbed, the tears now wetting her angry eyes. It wasn’t long before she completely broke down and all I could do was stand there.

            I wanted to ask how their break up involved me but I decided against it. Maybe she just wants someone to blame other than herself and Lucas. I slowly slip away and round a corner, sighing in relief and thankfully sprinting over to the water fountain to April.

            “The weirdest thing just happened,” I tucked my hair behind my ear as April finished drinking. “Paige just yelled at me and said it was my fault she and Lucas broke up.” I scoffed and held onto my books; aware that the corridors were thinning down and people were off to their next lesson.

            April and I started making our way to our class when April smiled. “Why are you all smiley?” I ask and she giggles like she always does. “I think it’s because you and Lucas are the leads in the play. That’s why she’s blaming you.”

            I think for a moment and scrunch up my face. She’s blaming me for something I had no control over? I was picked at the lead, it’s not like I had a choice. Or maybe I did but I’m still not to blame.

            “I think it’s because you get to kiss him,” April chuckles and I slap her in the arm. She gasps and rubs her arm sadly.

            “I’m sorry, April, but kissing him isn’t exactly a highlight.” Maybe it is. Admit is Ava, you loved that kiss. If I could slap my brain, I would. I don’t care about the kiss and I don’t care about Lucas. But you were shocked by all the things he told you yesterday.

            Gratefully we reached our class and we silently went in. The lesson was not as mundane and my brain stopped being a pervert.

***

            “Hello girls.” Grinned Jake and he sat by me on the lunch table. I didn’t protest as April gets a cut slice of an orange and puts it into her mouth; smiling at us. I stifle and laugh whilst Jake happily threw grapes at her.

            “Paige is still…sad then?” I cautiously ask but Jake nods. “She’s still a mess. And April tells me she’s blaming you. Honestly, you have nothing to do with it. It’s just Lucas.” Jake reassures with a smile. I decide to return the smile with an orange slice in my mouth. It hurts my mouth but its fun. I childishly grin at Jake when Lucas catches my eye. He doesn’t do anything but returns to twiddling with his fingers. I felt like I wanted to talk to him again, and I funnily wasn’t afraid.