Chapter 30 - Logan

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

My vacation is cut short when I receive an urgent call. The Carsons have something they need to tell me, and it can't wait until morning. Cade has already left to check on the closer families, so I have to make the overnight drive alone.

The Carsons are a middle aged couple who just had their fourth baby three weeks ago. It's still dark when I get to their house, but the light is on at the front porch. Mr. Carson is sitting alone out there, waiting for me. Next to him, in his crib, his newborn baby is wrapped tightly in a thick blanket. Mr. Carson holds a bottle of milk at level with his son's hungry mouth.

"Thank you for coming," he says as a welcome. "Sorry for the late hour, but I wanted my wife to get some rest. She was in labor for ten hours, and she needs a night off. She still hasn't recovered from that."

"It's not a problem," I assure him.

I couldn't have cared less that he called me at two in the morning, or that it took me three hours to drive here. The mere fact that he said he's ready to talk is enough to make me wide awake and anxious to get here.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" I ask. "Last time I was here, I was under the impression that you can't talk to me because it would endanger your family."

"I know," he says, sighing with exhaustion. His face shows signs of many sleepless nights, which makes me wonder what his wife must look like. "I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think it's best for us to move. The kids are not happy here, and my wife and I are tired of it. We might be better off somewhere else."

This takes me by surprise. "Where will you go?"

"I don't know yet."

I pause. "When are you leaving?"

"I don't know that either."

Now I'm confused. "So why am I here?"

The baby whimpers. Mr. Carson takes the bottle away, puts it aside and reaches for his son. Gently, he lays the baby against his shoulder, a towel under his head, and begins lightly patting and stroking his back.

"I figured since we won't be here anymore, it's safe to tell you part of what I know," he finally says. "I promised your dad never to reveal what my family and I did for him, not even to hisfamily. But you've offered us your protection, something I truly appreciate. Since I can't accept, this is the next best thing I can do to repay you."

It takes a few seconds for it to really sink in. This is really happening. I'm about to get insight into what the list means, what my father was doing. My nervousness mingles with anticipation, as I wait for him to go on.

"Your father was a great man, there's no denying," he begins, indicating a rebuttal. "But not everyone agreed with that. You don't become the man he was without making a few enemies along the way."

The direction of the conversation is not one I expected. I can't tell where he's going with this, and I stay quiet, listening apprehensively.

"A lot of them coveted what he had," Mr. Carson continues. "But he was a very resourceful man and he knew how to protect what he valued. Unfortunately for him, one enemy set his sights on what your father valued the most."

My blood starts pumping faster, as I begin to understand where this is headed. "Who did?" I finally speak.

Mr. Carson shakes his head. "I don't know," he admits. "That's one thing he never told me."