Chapter 24 - Sadie

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

There is a definite crush situation going on. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. All the signs are there; she tries to make him happy, she perks up when we talk about him, and when they're alone together -which Cade and I have snuck down to see. She loves having his attention and listens to every word he says like he's sprouting the secrets of the universe. There is no denying that Dylan has a crush on Logan.

When the guys are out the door and out of the driveway, I join her on the couch. The mischievous smile can't be contained from my face. This is either going to be really fun or really bad for me, but either way, I'm going to tease her endlessly about this until she admits it.

Dylan notices my expression and frowns suspiciously. "What?" she demands.

"You like Logan," I state.

"'Course I do," she confirms. That was easy. "He's a great alpha and a good friend."

I can't say that doesn't surprise me. This is really the last answer I would have expected. I didn't think she would misunderstand me.

The laughter erupts without warning, and I shake my head in disbelief. "No," I say, drawing on the 'o' sound. "I mean you likelike him. You have a crush on him."

Dylan's eyes practically bulge out of their sockets, and her eyebrows almost fly up to the top of her forehead.

"What?!" she chokes out.

Her reaction just confirms it even more.

"You totally do!" I insist.

She gives me a flat look. "Sadie, you're delusional."

"That's what you said when I found out you're a girl," I point out in a sing-song voice.

She slaps her hand over my mouth and frantically shushes me. "Keep your voice down when you say stuff like that! Honestly Sadie, we're in a house full of werewolves, remember?"

She is much too paranoid. It's to be expected, of course, because she has been drilled to fear everything her whole life. But the Silver Moon Pack is probably one of the few who would protect her. I can't force her to tell them, but I'm trying to give her hints so that she could think of it on her own.

I have to forcibly remove her hand. "Oh relax, no one's going to hear," I assure her. "It's nine thirty on a Sunday morning... most are still in bed and anyone who's awake is out."

"You don't know that... somebody could still hear us," she hisses.

"Yes I do know. I know the house's schedule, remember?"

"Oh, yeah, like everyone always sticks to a schedule."

I ignore her objections and grin. "Dylan and Logan, sitting in a tree," I sing with a low voice.

She covers my mouth again, putting more force behind it this time. I can't help being excited. This is probably her first crush, and it's making me so excited. I wonder what he would think if he knew she's a girl. I wonder what she would even look like.

"Sadie, I do not have a crush on Logan," Dylan whispers slowly, trying to get the message across.

She is definitely in denial. But two can play at this stubbornness game. Since my speech ability is blocked, I have to bob my head up and down in rebuttal.