Chapter 18 - Daniel

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

Zoey and I have gone out on two dates, and I still haven't kissed her once. I've waited way less for way more before. But I don't know why, with Zoey, everything just feels... brand new, and I don't want to blow it. It's not about buying her silence or even giving her someone to talk to anymore. I'm happy when we're just talking, and that's unusual behavior for me. I'm waiting to see what happens though, which is why I haven't rushed into anything.

Although I'm still seeing her at school, when I skip most -or all- of English class to sit with her at lunch, I am still limited to certain things. For one thing, we're at a public place, and we could both get into trouble if we're caught, mostly me because I'm not attending my class. Then there's the fact that we're sitting under the stairs outside the cafeteria, and she can't stay away long or the classmates that she sits with at lunch will notice her missing. That's why I'm really looking forward to taking her out again, just the two of us.

For our third date, precisely ten days after the first one, I know exactly how to surprise her. I'm not sure if she's going to like it or not, but at least she won't see it coming. I pick her up from the usual spot outside school. I had to bargain with Connor to get the car again. He's starting to suspect something, so I'm planning on telling Zoey that we probably shouldn't go out more than once a week.

She smiles at me when she hops in the car. "Hi," she says brightly and kisses my cheek.

She started doing that a couple of days ago, when I made her laugh. I cherish those moments. By now, she's used to seeing me in my basketball uniform during our dates, but I'm hoping she won't see the duffel bag I hid behind her seat.

"Hi," I greet her back. "Ready for some fun?"

"Define fun," she requests.

I grin. "You'll see. You're going to love it."

I'm not sure if she will, truthfully, but I'm hoping she'll at least see the humor in it. When we get there she bursts out laughing.

"I gave you an idea, didn't I?" she guesses as I park the car in front of the deserted basketball court.

"A hell of a good one too," I add. "Prepare for the time of your life."

"Daniel, I can't play basketball in a skirt and sandals," she protests.

I hold the duffel bag out for her. "Then it's a good thing I brought you my spare uniform, isn't it?"

She beams and shakes her head. "You're unbelievable."

And yet, you're taking the bag, I notice with delight.

She makes me stand outside the car as she changes. I pretend to sneak a peek, but she chastises me immediately. When she emerges, I can't help noticing she's no longer cute in my uniform; she's straight up hot. She's wearing clothes that are normally on me. How am I not supposed to find that sexy?

"What's first?" she asks, excitement making her jumpy. I like this side of her.

"Do you know how to shoot?"

She gives me a flat look. "Once again, you underestimate me."

With a few steps, Zoey is at my side yanking the ball from my hands. She bounces it a few times on the ground then stands several steps away from the hoop, outside the three-point zone. I cross my arms and watch her with amusement.