Chapter 8 - Logan

JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

±!@#$%^&*()_+

Their hushed voices are easy to detect from outside, but I can't make out what they're saying exactly. It sounds like they're having an argument. It's late at night, so their boys are probably in bed by now, and they might not want to wake them. Either that, or they're just expecting us.

I knock on their door three times before their conversation is cut short. Then I hear footsteps approaching, and seconds later, Mr. Mariner greets Cade and me at the door. Unlike the way his wife welcomed us yesterday, it's clear he's not happy about how she told us to come back.

"Listen kid," he says in a tone that suggests he's about to send us away.

I don't give him that opportunity. "I won't bother you for long. I just have a couple of questions."

He briefly glances inside at where his wife is undoubtedly standing. "I know my wife gave you the impression that I can help you, but I don't think I can."

My mood begins to sink. I was already more nervous than eager to finally get some information, but I begin to lose what little hope I have left.

"Why not?" I reply politely. "Why can't you say anything? Can you at least explain that?"

His wife appears by his side before he can think up an answer. "Sweetheart," she says soothingly, although her voice is shaking, "we have to tell him something. We don't have to say everything, but he got into all this trouble to get to us."

He throws her a hard stare. "Do you have any idea the trouble we would be in if we did?"

She eyes him levelly. "Of course, I do," she retorts, her tone defiant. "But he still deserves to know that, like he said."

Cade and I hold our breaths, waiting hopefully. A werewolf's mate is really a great companion, sometimes acting as the voice of reason. Like now. I just hope his ego is not too big that it wouldn't allow him to listen to his wife.

Finally, he sighs. "Alright, fine," he relents. "Come in."

"Thank you," I say in earnest.

Whatever it is that's holding them back, it must be serious, and I truly am grateful that they're taking a chance in talking to us.

They let us into the living room, like last time. The house is quiet, but I notice Jace is sleeping in the armchair with a pillow preventing him from falling.

"I'll go fix us something to drink," Mrs. Mariner declares before going into the kitchen.

"So I assume you're about to explain why you can't tell us Alpha Cameron's motives, in putting that list together or including you on it?" Cade bluntly guesses.

"Look, it's not that I don't want to tell you," Mr. Mariner objects. "Believe me, I want to honor his memory and reveal everything. He was a good man, he died too soon."

Again, my chest tightens. The memory stings even more now that we've moved here. But I'm also losing hope again that I will learn anything substantial.

"Then why don't you?" I challenge. "What are you so afraid of?"

I accidentally raise my voice with that last question, which wakes Jace up. His cries pierce the silence of the night, and my ears. That is one very loud cry-baby. I'm almost considering letting the issue go, to leave and never come back.